Dr. Mathis Rust
Mathis' practice focuses on German and European antitrust law.
Mathis' international experience across several locations includes merger control reviews, cartel matters, vertical conduct investigations, dominance matters, civil and appellate litigation and advisory work. He has particular experience in in-depth merger reviews before the European Commission, including complex Phase II reviews, and has overseen and managed merger notification processes in a number of jurisdictions, often simultaneously.
Mathis represents clients across a broad range of key industries, such as chemicals, seeds/agriculture, consumer products, automotive and tech.
Prior to joining White & Case in 2019, Mathis worked in the Cologne office of a renowned US law firm for five years. During this time, he was involved in a number of high-profile transactions, including Dow Chemical Company's $130 billion merger of equals with DuPont, as well as a number of cartel matters.
Mathis' secondment to a multinational consumer electronics retailer provided him with invaluable insight from an industry perspective.
Selected merger control experience
- Representation of Saudi Aramco on its US$69.1 billion acquisition of a 70% stake in Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC) from the Public Investment Fund (PIF). The transaction was named "M&A Deal of the Year (Over US$50 billion)" by the M&A Advisor (2020).
- Advising Metso Corporation on the combination of Metso Minerals and Outotec Oyj under the name Metso Outotec.
- Advising open banking platform provider Tink on its sale to Visa for €1.7 billion.
- Advised Symrise AG on its acquisition of the global fragrance and aroma chemicals activities of Sensient Technologies Corp.
- Advised Faurecia, one of the world's largest automotive equipment suppliers, on the launch of a tender offer for HELLA and the acquisition of 60% of HELLA's shares currently held by the family shareholder pool.
- Advised The Dow Chemical Company* in its $130 billion merger of equals with DuPont (Phase II with remedies in the EU, additional filings in more than 20 countries worldwide).*
- Advised International Flavors & Fragrances (IFF) on its $7.1 billion acquisition of Israel-based Frutarom Industries.*
Selected behavioral/litigation experience
- Advised Autoliv in an automotive components cartel investigation by the European Commission and other authorities.
- Advised Mediamarkt Saturn* on a range of issues and projects, especially regarding the foundation of the European Retail Alliance with FNAC Darty, and various internal investigations.
*Experience prior to joining White & Case
"Lawyer to Watch" Competition/Antitrust Law, Handelsblatt 2022