Michal Křivánek joined the Prague office of White & Case during his studies in 2015 as a legal intern and is a member of the Disputes Practice Group focusing on dispute resolution and regulatory matters.
Michal graduated from the Law School of Charles University, earned a bachelor’s degree in business and law at the University of Economics in Prague, spent over two years studying service management at Copenhagen Business School, one semester at the Rotterdam School of Management, and also participated in a summer program focusing on global business at Aarhus University in Denmark.
Michal provides legal services primarily in the areas of litigation and out-of-court dispute resolution, as well as public-law regulation of such industries as insurance, gambling, advertising, privacy and the protection of personal data (including the GDPR), and anti-money laundering measures. Michal also advises on matters related to white-collar crime, and renders legal services in the fields of commercial and company law in general.
Michal Křivánek is regularly involved in advising key clients of the Prague office. Among other engagements, he has acted as an advisor on the following matters:
- Providing on-going advisory services to a global technology company in the area of content publication and advertising within the context of speech restrictions arising from both Czech and foreign laws.
- Providing advisory services to a leading global technology company within the context of on-going internal audits and external investigations both in the Czech Republic and abroad related to procurement procedures (tenders) for software licenses and cloud services. These legal services included the retrieval, collection and in-depth analysis of relevant documents and communication, advice in the field of the protection and processing of data, conducting interviews with affected individuals, and steering the process of disclosure to, and communication with, supervisory authorities.
- Advising Zentiva in connection with the implementation of the GDPR in the Czech Republic and a number of other European countries. This entailed a comprehensive review of the current state of data processing, contractual documents, and internal policies at the corporation, and the drafting of new, GDPR-compliant policies and documents.
- Representing a major insurer in a case concerning the alleged invalidity of endowment insurance policies. Among other things, the advisory services comprised a legal analysis of the affected contractual documentation, an assessment of the risk of the potential (partial) invalidity of the policies due to legal defects in the documentation or in the way in which contracts were made with policyholders, the preparation of arguments in support of the insurance company’s position, and the actual representation of the insurance company in specific proceedings before the general courts.
- Providing advisory services in the form of a review of new sets of contractual documents for endowment insurance and term life insurance products and the modification thereof, reflecting regulations in the insurance industry, contract law and consumer protection laws and data protection rules, but also generally streamlining and improving the language of the contractual basis for the said products.
- Providing comprehensive advisory services to The Stars Group, the company operating the PokerStars online gaming site, in connection with the procurement and continuous maintenance of licenses and game plans needed for the operation of online games of chance, negotiations with the regulatory authority (i.e. the Ministry of Finance) and other government authorities (the Financial Analytical Office, financial and customs administration). We also advise this client in connection with upcoming amendments to the relevant sector regulation, and have been preparing analyses in the field of advertising regulations. In addition, we have been advising the companies Gaming One and Authentic Gaming in the field of gambling regulations.
- Advising a leading soft drinks producer in the Czech Republic and Slovakia in connection with a dispute with a Czech producer of natural and flavored mineral water and other non-alcoholic beverages. We have been representing the client in several unfair-competition disputes against its competitor in the soft drinks market.
- Providing a broad range of legal advice rendered in the AML area with respect to the introduction and implementation of rules mandated by the relevant legislation and by the internal policies of individual clients, among them a major U.S. investment group, the leading global operator of a platform for shared ride-hailing and food-delivery services, and a real estate investment fund.