Nicolas Macheras is a Counsel in the Project Development & Finance practice of White & Case in Paris.
Nicholas represents financial institutions in connection with project and export financings, particularly in the energy (renewable and conventional) and commodities sectors. He also has extensive experience in Africa.
Bars and Courts
Solicitor, England and Wales
University of Toronto Faculty of Law
Bachelor of Arts, Interdisciplinary Studies
University of British Columbia
Faculty of Arts
Nicholas' experience includes:
- Advising the senior lenders comprising Brazil's National Bank for Economic and Social Development (BNDES) and a syndicate of ten commercial banks and developmental agencies in connection with the non-recourse senior secured financing for the US$3 billion (R$17 billion) São Paulo Metro Line 6 project in Brazil, the largest PPP project currently under construction in Latin America.
Significant matters on which Nicholas has acted prior to joining White & Case include:
- Advising a Geneva-based commodities trader in relation to a bespoke tripartite debt rescheduling.
- Advising BNP Paribas (Suisse) S.A. in relation to an up to US$180 million syndicated secured borrowing base facility for a Dubai-based commodities trader.
- Advising BNP Paribas (Suisse) S.A. and a group of eight international banks in relation to an amendment and restatement of a US$300 million syndicated partly committed secured borrowing base facility for a Geneva-based commodity trader, including updated security package.
- Advising a global Swiss commodity trader on a US$50,000,000 pre-export finance facility agreement in favour of a Zambian based copper mining company, with Zambian law security and a subordination arrangement with the existing shareholders of the borrower.
- Advising BNP Paribas in relation to a PXF facility agreement with a Luxembourg-based mining company in relation to its offtake / commercial contracts in respect of a Vietnamese based mine and its subsequent amendment and restatement.
- Advising Société Générale, UBS, Natixis and SCB on the amendment and restatement of an up to US$410 million borrowing base facility granted to Addax Energy SA, secured by obligors located in Switzerland and Malta with third party guarantors in various African jurisdictions.
- Advising BNP Paribas Fortis in relation to four ECA-backed facility agreements to a sovereign state acting through its Ministry of Finance for the purchase of various types of buses and the subsequent amendments and restatements.
- Advising Mauritius Commercial Bank on a secured USD100 million pre-export financing agreement in favour of a Nigeria-based subsidiary of Houston-based dual-listed company, including intercreditor arrangements with Zenith Bank and the subsequent restructuring of the facility.
- Advising Société Générale in relation to a currency swap-linked uncommitted bank-to-bank loan.
- Advising a leading African financial institution and the other finance parties on an acquisition facility in relation to the acquisition of certain oil and gas assets in Nigeria.