Royston C. Tan
Royston Tan is an Associate in the Firm's White Collar practice, based in Hong Kong.
Royston's practice focuses on cross-border white collar compliance matters and investigations, FCPA and UKBA compliance, and complex commercial disputes. He has experience advising companies investing in high-risk sectors and countries on anti-bribery and corruption, anti-money laundering and sanctions due diligence and compliance program implementation. He has acted for clients in various industries such as pharmaceuticals and healthcare, financial, oil and gas, consumer and technology.
Royston's experience* includes representing:
- a global healthcare company in an investigation into workplace misconduct and potential bribery allegations involving its PRC division.
- an industrial technology company on allegations of revenue recognition fraud and document falsification by its senior employees in PRC.
- a leading FMCG company in a Korean government inquiry into potential negligence, fraud and breach of safety compliance regulations.
- a public oil and gas conglomerate, providing FCPA and sanctions advice in relation to its proposed investment into an integrated refining and petrochemical complex in the PRC.
- an investment bank in relation to compliance and sanctions risk arising out of its proposed participation in the Series C funding round of a biotech company.
- several global financial institutions, by conducting pre-acquisition compliance risk diligence and providing advice on sanctions and compliance program implementation.
- an insurance company in a successful Taipei-seated arbitration proceeding involving fraud and the legality of trust structures spanning various jurisdictions, including Singapore, Bahamas and the British Virgin Islands, with a combined value exceeding US$200 million.
- a Taiwanese pharmaceutical company in a successful US$120 million “bet the company” joint venture dispute governed by ICC arbitration rules, and involving issues of shareholder oppression, document falsification and violations of pharmaceutical standards.
* Includes experience prior to joining White & Case