Tom Matthews is a partner in our global M&A and Corporate practice based in London. Tom is also Head of the Firm’s Global Shareholder Activism practice.
Tom has over 17 years’ experience advising corporates, investment banks, private equity and hedge funds and family offices on international public and private M&A transactions, primary and secondary equity raisings and sell-downs, joint ventures and listed company advisory and corporate governance matters.
Tom also advises a number of companies, activist and other hedge funds, founder shareholders and other active shareholders on their shareholder engagement campaigns and responses.
Recent experience includes acting for:
- Representation of SPIE UK Limited (a subsidiary of the SPIE Group) on the sale of 100 percent of the shares in Triosgroup Limited to RCapital Partners
- Representation of Fleetcor Technologies on its acquisition of a UK-based software business
- Representation of Third Point in connection with its engagement with Prudential plc
- Representation of Sachem Head Capital Management LP in connection with its engagement with G4S PLC.
- Representation of Coast Capital Management in connection with its engagement with FirstGroup plc
- Representation of Cat Rock Capital Management in connection with a number of confidential matters and situations in the UK, including in relation to Just Eat plc
- Representation of Hudson Bay in connection with a number of confidential matters and situations in the UK
- Representation of the World Gold Council in connection with a number of confidential matters and situations
- Representation of Rothschild as financial adviser to GeoPark Limited on its £242 million offer for Amerisur Resources Plc, a full cycle independent oil exploration and production company
- Representation of AFI Development Plc in connection with a public offer by its majority shareholder, Flotonic Limited, to acquire all of the issued share capital of AFI not already held by Flotonic
- Representation of Bright Scholar Education Holdings on its £150 million acquisition of CATS Colleges, an international school network with a platform of campuses located across the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada and China
- Representation of Nestlé S.A. on the sale of its 60 percent stake in Herta to Casa Tarradellas and the creation of a joint venture for Herta
- Representation of Standard Chartered Bank as financial adviser to Medco Energi Internasional on its £408 million offer for Ophir Energy plc
- Representation of Barclays as financial adviser to Boston Scientific on its £3.3 billion offer for BTG plc
- Representation of The management of commodities trader Noble Group Limited on its successful US$3.5 billion debt-for-equity restructuring
- Representation of EN+ on its securities exchange agreement with certain subsidiaries of Swiss commodity trader Glencore
- Representation of HarbourVest Partners on its £1 billion hostile takeover offer for SVG Capital plc*
- Representation of Temasek on its acquisition of a significant minority stake in a global software logistics business*
- Representation of The Hanover Insurance Group on its sale of Chaucer to China Re*
- Representation of Argenta on the sale of Syndicate 2121 at Lloyd's and the Argenta members' agency to Hannover Re*
- Representation of a Russian asset manager in connection with its sale of a 25 percent stake in a UK premium listed mining company*
- Representation of Polyus Gold International on its sale of a $1.4 billion stake in PJSC Polyus to Fosun International*
* Experience prior to joining White & Case
United Kingdom chapter, Getting the Deal Through – Technology M&A, 2020
Trends in UK Public M&A 2019 H1, LexisNexis Market Tracker Trend Report
Trends in UK Public M&A 2018, LexisNexis Market Tracker Trend Report