William Obree is an associate in White & Case's Dispute Resolution group based in London. His practice focuses on commercial litigation and international arbitration, with a particular emphasis on civil fraud disputes, conflict of laws issues and freezing orders and other injunctions.
He has experience of English High Court litigation and arbitration under the LCIA, UNCITRAL and ICC rules.
Before joining the Dispute Resolution group, Will spent six months working in the Firm’s international arbitration practice in Moscow.
Will is committed to pro bono work and regularly represents PIP appellants in the Social Entitlement Chamber in collaboration with legal charity University House as well as advising clients at Whitechapel Homeless Mission and attending the Royal Courts of Justice Citizens Advice Bureau.
Will’s experience includes:
- Advising a Russian businessman in High Court proceedings arising out of an alleged joint venture agreement and securing the discharge of a freezing injunction made in support of the underlying claim.
- Representing a Chinese-owned purchaser of a major South African mining company in consolidated ICC arbitrations relating to various entitlements due under the purchase agreements, including breach of warranty.
- Successfully defending a generics company in a high profile claim for passing off brought by a major pharmaceutical company.
- Advising the shareholder of a party affected by a worldwide freezing order in the BTA Bank fraud proceedings.
- Representing the Republic of Belarus in an investment treaty claim commenced by OOO Manolium Processing under the UNCITRAL Rules.
- Acting for an aviation company in relation to a contractual dispute with a Turkish airline.
- Acting for a UK-regulated bank in a complex fraud-based dispute arising from the enforcement of a share pledge given as security for a €150 million loan.
- Representing a ship builder in a multi-million euro LCIA arbitration concerning the major refurbishment of an FPSO to be deployed in Brazil.