Schooled in law
We added a new partnership with the Grunin Center for Law and Social Entrepreneurship at New York University School of Law to our growing roster of programs for law students.
Image: Law students studying at Jigme Singye Wangchuck School of Law, Bhutan
In 2018, we began a new collaboration with the Grunin Center for Law and Social Entrepreneurship at New York University (NYU) School of Law. The Grunin Center aims to grow and enhance the community of lawyers and legal institutions engaged in social entrepreneurship and impact investing. Our support is both advisory and financial. Arlene Hahn, a partner in our New York office and NYU Law School alumna, serves on the Grunin Center’s Advisory Board, and our lawyers work with the Grunin Center’s International Transactions Clinic to provide pro bono advice on investment transactions and other legal issues faced by social enterprises.
“There is nothing more important than education. Our pro bono work in this area is a key focus of what we do. Our lawyers promote the rule of law and justice in legal education all over the world. ”
Jacquelyn MacLennan, Partner, Brussels
Global Pro Bono Practice Leader
“To be able to support this burgeoning sector at a grassroots level is extremely exciting for us and reflects our desire to find positive ways to impact the world—which is something that both our lawyers and the incoming talent pool are passionate about,” said Arlene.
Our support will make possible at least two White & Case Social Entrepreneurship Internships beginning in the 2020 – 2021 academic year, as well as a new White & Case Award in Law and Social Entrepreneurship to recognize graduating NYU law students who demonstrate both academic excellence and a strong commitment to social entrepreneurship and social impact.
“White & Case’s partnership and support will enable the Grunin Center to prepare the next generation of lawyers to apply their skills to advance social entrepreneurial solutions to some of the world’s most pressing challenges,” explained Carolina Henriquez-Schmitz, Executive Director of the Grunin Center. “Law firms like White & Case are critical partners in driving social impact.”
Examples of our other partnerships with law schools include:
- Helping the Kingdom of Bhutan create its first law school, the Jigme Singye Wangchuck School of Law
- Longstanding support for the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition, the world’s largest moot court competition with more than 3,000 students from 100 countries taking part
- Hosting a series of pre-moots in Brussels, Frankfurt, London and Paris to help students prepare for the oral rounds of the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot
- Collaborating with Prince Sultan University in Riyadh and the American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative to provide training for female students taking part in the Vis Moot
- Teaching ethics and practical legal skills to more than 800 students from Russian law schools each year
- Working with the Leitner Center for International Law and Justice at Fordham Law School to design and deliver an interactive legal ethics and human rights training program in Ghana for top law students from seven African countries
- Collaborating with the Asian University for Women in Bangladesh to sponsor the education of students in pre-law, provide guest lecturers and offer internships to students in our Hong Kong office
- Organizing a range of programs at the Faculty of Law and Political Science of the National University of Laos and three universities in Myanmar through Bridges Across Borders Southeast Asia Community Legal Education Initiative (BABSEACLE)
- Supplying library resources for the newly established Nunavut Law School, located 300 kilometers above the Arctic Circle in Canada
This publication is provided for your convenience and does not constitute legal advice. This publication is protected by copyright.
© 2019 White & Case LLP