Working in the Czech Republic
White & Case was one of the very first international law firms to expand into the Czech Republic after the change in social and political climate in 1989, establishing our Prague office in 1991. Since then, our lawyers and tax advisors have continued to push the boundaries, working on a wide range of complex local and cross-border legal and tax advisory issues.
We maintain a positive and friendly work environment, which eases the demands of working for a leading global law firm. Our employees have excellent academic and professional qualifications, and all contribute to the collegial and supportive atmosphere of our office.
We recognize that our employees spend a significant part of their lives at the workplace, and we provide them with a wide variety of benefits. We support their ongoing personal and professional development, and reward outstanding achievement.
Joining White & Case gave me the exceptional opportunity to work on some of the highest-profile cross-border transactions in the region.
I am a part of complex and challenging transactions and the partners and colleagues in my team are truly supportive. Every deal is different which keeps my job extremely exciting.
As one of the largest international law firms in the Czech Republic, we offer a significant degree of comfort and assurance to clients looking to realize investment opportunities or navigate complex challenges both inside the country and abroad.
Our core practices in Prague include: debt finance, financial restructuring & insolvency, capital markets, M&A/Corporate, private equity, energy & infrastructure, real estate, dispute resolution, antitrust/competition, ICT and tax advisory.
We're proud that our people are from a wide variety of backgrounds. We attract people with a global mindset, who prioritize learning about different cultures, experiences, languages and viewpoints.
It goes without saying that we expect a high level of intelligence and academic excellence, but it is the way you think that is absolutely crucial to us. You need to be able to analyze how the law works, and to be creative, yet pragmatic, in your interpretation of it. Our clients depend on the ability of our lawyers to resolve complex issues or to structure international transactions on their behalf.
We value collaboration and a team-oriented mindset. Clients and colleagues will depend on you to perform tasks accurately, efficiently and on time, and to work in teams to get the legal work done.
We evaluate each applicant on an individual basis in anticipation of our needs. Based on the expectations placed on each associate working at White & Case, we have identified several general characteristics that we consider to be essential for the performance of every associate:
- Excellent knowledge of local law, and international private law
- Ability to apply law to client matters and provide practical guidance to clients based on previous experience
- Efficient time management
- Excellent command of English (written and oral), including legal terminology
- Cooperation with legal and non-legal staff of the Firm as a team player
Students picked the Prague Office of White & Case as their choice of most attractive employer among law firms in the Czech Republic. This ranking of the most popular employers was put together based on the latest survey by Universum, which polled more than 11,000 university students across the Czech Republic in 2020.
Working with students and developing young talent are key priorities of ours. It's great fun! At the same time, this kind of recruitment forms the bedrock of our successful operations in the Czech market in the long run.
Office Executive Partner, Prague
New York Secondment
As a part of the annual US Summer Program, our Prague office provides the opportunity for associates to work in our New York office for four weeks. During their stay, Prague associates are considered visiting lawyers and continue to work on their own matters originating in the Prague office.
Participants in the program will be invited to the various summer associate events, will have the opportunity to meet and network with their colleagues based in the New York office, and will get to see what it's like to work at our headquarters. They will also have the opportunity to develop contacts with partners and senior lawyers, of which they can then make effective use once back in the Prague office.
I was given a chance to experience first-hand our New York office. It was exhilarating to be a part of the team in the US and work alongside my colleagues.
Accelerate your career with us!
To apply for a position with the Prague office of White & Case, please send your resume and cover letter in English to [email protected].
Our interview process usually includes in-person interviews with an HR representative, as well as lawyers and partners, to enable us to get to know you, and to allow you to get a feel for our work environment.
Should you be applying for an associate position, you will also be given a legal case study and analytical test during your visit to our office. The interview process typically takes between two weeks and one month.
Your resume should include the following information:
- Education: The names of the educational institutions that you have attended or are currently attending; your major field of study; the date of your graduation; and your examination results.
- Work experience: The names of the organizations for which you have worked; a brief job description; and the dates you worked for each organization.
- References: These are not required with your initial application, but providing them will be helpful.
- Extracurricular activity: A description of any extracurricular activities (such as sports, Moot Courts, etc.).
Feel free to include any other information that you think may be useful or of interest to us in your resume or cover letter, but please limit the length of each document to a maximum of two pages.
Your cover letter should include the following information:
- Position: Please refer to the position for which you are applying (e.g. associate, tax advisor, legal secretary, accounting, administration, etc.).
- Purpose: Please describe why you want to join White & Case.
- Current Employment: Please indicate whether you are presently employed, and if so, by whom.
- Start date: Please indicate when you would be available for employment.
- Contact details: Please provide current contact information for us to get in touch with you. Please also indicate how you would prefer to be contacted, and the best times to reach you.
We're keen to hear from you!
If you would like to be part of our team, please apply at any time. To contact our recruiting team, please email [email protected].
Number of clients our Prague office has helped since the Prague office opened in 1991
of White & Case Legal Interns promoted to Associates
pro bono hours since 1991
White & Case Academy
The White & Case academy offers a seminar series focusing on commercial law topics in our Prague office for law students from universities across the Czech Republic.
Delve into the exciting complexities of commercial law by enrolling in the White & Case Academy, with a course program delivered by top experts in the field.
You will have the opportunity to
- Take part in series of interactive seminars
- Gain a set of skills that will help you achieve success
- Attain insight into topics such as international arbitration, restructuring, cybersecurity, PPP projects and more
- Meet White & Case lawyers at various levels and hear about their career paths and practice areas
- Discover the fast-paced, high-energy environment of a preeminent global law firm
- Participate either in the entire seminar series, or in selected seminars only (depending on your preference)
- Obtain the White & Case Academy certificate
We are currently putting together the next course program. We will post more specific information as soon as it becomes available – check back to see what is new!
If you have any questions in connection with the White & Case Academy, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected]com.
White & Case Academy is a unique opportunity for students to get an idea of what it is like to work at White & Case. For us, the program is a great opportunity to meet the next generation and share our legal knowledge and experience.
Student Internship Program
Join our Student Internship Program and gain professional experience working in a global law firm. You will be assigned your own mentor, receive extensive legal and soft skills training, be involved in challenging and rewarding projects, and gain hands-on experience working in a truly global law firm.
What's in it for you?
- One-on-one mentoring program with a mentor of your choice from among White & Case's senior associates
- Professional experience across all areas of law
- External seminars and conferences based on your interests and preferences
- Language courses with native speakers; internal legal seminars and trainings
- Opportunity to develop both personally and professionally
- Above-market financial package and paid benefits, including an iPhone, team-building events and international sport events, yoga lessons on our terrace, and much more
What do we expect?
- Proactive mindset
- Passion and enthusiasm for the law
- Good command of Czech and English
- Time to spend at least 25 – 30 hours per week with us on a flexible schedule – to be adjusted to reflect your duties and needs as a student (we understand that you will need to take time off for exam preparation)
If this sounds interesting to you, wait no further! Send us your CV at [email protected] and become part of our team.
Working as a legal intern at White & Case gave me a unique opportunity to grow, gain cutting-edge experience and knowledge by receiving guidance from the best in their field and working for market-leading clients on the biggest deals in the Czech market.
Associate, a former intern