Christopher Kelly leads our Mergers & Acquisitions practice in Asia-Pacific, based in Hong Kong.
Chris has nearly 30 years of experience advising clients on a wide range of M&A, private equity, corporate finance and commercial matters, including public and private M&A, equity offers, joint ventures and strategic partnerships.
His experience* includes advising:
- Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners (CIP) on the development of, and subsequent equity sale of a strategic stake in, the US$3 billion (NT$90 billion) 589 MW Changfang and Xidao (CFXD) offshore wind project in Taiwan. This deal won "Asia Pacific Project Finance Deal of the Year 2020" by IJGlobal Awards, "Asia Pacific Renewable Deal of the Year 2020" by PFI Awards, "Project Finance Deal of the Year 2020" by FinanceAsia Achievement Awards and "Project Finance Deal of the Year 2021" by IFLR Asia-Pacific Awards.
- Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners on the acquisition of a 95 percent interest in Swancor Renewable Energy Co. Ltd, including its 25 percent interest in the Formosa 2 offshore wind farm project in Taiwan. This deal was recognized as "Renewables Deal of the Year, Asia-Pacific" at the Infrastructure Investor Awards 2019.
- The Carlyle Group on multiple transactions, including its:
- US$490 million acquisition of a strategic 20 percent stake in Piramal Pharma, the pharmaceutical division of Piramal Enterprises Limited, one of India's leading diversified companies, with a presence in financial services, information management and pharmaceuticals;
- US$240 acquisition of a controlling stake in SeQuent Scientific Limited, the largest pure-play animal healthcare company in India;
- IPO and subsequent exit from Yashili International Dairy (by way of a general offer by Mengniu Dairy); and
- US$137 million strategic investment in HK-listed Haier Electronics, through new equity, CBs and warrants, and subsequent sell-down by way of a block trade of the CBs.
- Noble Group on multiple transactions, including its US$3.5 billion debt-for-equity restructuring of Noble Group. This deal was awarded "Restructuring Deal of the Year" at the IFLR Asia-Pacific Awards 2019 and "Finance Deal of the Year: Insolvency and Restructuring" at the Asia Legal Awards 2019.
- Rio Tinto on its defence of BHP Billiton's US$147.5 billion hostile takeover bid, including the strategic US$19.5 billion strategic stake by Chinalco.
- AIG on the disposals of its consumer finance businesses in Asia.
* Includes experience prior to joining White & Case.
Ranked 'Leading Individual' for Corporate/M&A in Hong Kong by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022
Recommended practitioner for Corporate and M&A: Hong Kong-based (International Firms) in China by Chambers Greater China 2022
Recommended practitioner for Private Equity in China by Chambers Greater China 2022