Ed Attenborough is a partner in the Dispute Resolution group of the Firm's London office. While Ed's practice focuses on international arbitration, he also represents clients in a broad range of alternative dispute resolution processes, as well as having significant litigation experience in the English courts. Ed's practice is focused on the energy (including oil and gas and renewables), power, financial services and defence sectors. He has also successfully represented clients in the telecommunications, commodities and cryptocurrency industries.
Ed's significant international arbitration experience includes representation of clients in arbitrations under both the ICC and LCIA rules, as well as in ad hoc arbitration proceedings. In the English High Court, Ed has advised financial sector and corporate clients on litigation proceedings, including insolvency proceedings and, typically, proceedings with a multi-jurisdictional element.
Ed is a Solicitor Advocate and typically acts as lead advocate for clients, particularly in arbitration proceedings.
Examples of recent international arbitration representations include:
- Acting in several multi-billion dollar LCIA arbitrations between joint venture partners to an oil and gas project in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq and concerning joint venture rights, contingent payment obligations, field development planning and reserves estimation and certification.
- Advising a major oil and gas company in an ad hoc arbitration under Sharia law in the Middle East concerning the construction of a major gas plant debottlenecking project.
- Acting in an ICC arbitration between joint venture partners to an oil production sharing contract in East Asia.
- Representing Brazilian contractors and the project developer in multiple LCIA and ICC arbitrations against insurers, in a dispute concerning one of the largest hydroelectric power projects in the world.
- Acting for the lead contractor in a major ICC arbitration arising out of the termination of a rail construction project in South Europe.
- Acting in an ICC arbitration concerning a mobile telecommunications cooperation agreement.
- Acting in an LCIA arbitration relating to a coal supply agreement.
- Advising in relation to disputes concerning high-profile UK defence procurement projects.
Examples of recent litigation representations include:
- Acting for the Brazilian respondents to anti-suit proceedings in the Commercial Court and the Court of Appeal in what became one of the leading English authorities on the governing law of arbitration clauses.
- Acting for financial institutions, including in multi-jurisdictional court proceedings, in relation to breaches of retainer agreements entered into with clients and wrongful termination of retainer agreements.
Listed in the 2021 Lawdragon 500 Global Litigation Lawyers Guide