Ged Cochrane advises on the development, financing and acquisition of major energy and infrastructure projects. He has particular experience in project finance, acquisition finance and in negotiating power purchase agreements for large-scale conventional and renewable energy projects.
Ged has developed innovative financing and offtake solutions for clients in Asia, Europe, Africa and Australia.
In 2019, he advised Neoen on the expansion and standalone project financing of the 150MW Hornsdale Power Reserve (better known as the Tesla Big Battery), which was then the world’s largest lithium ion battery. This was a landmark deal that was awarded 'Asia-Pacific Energy Storage Deal of the Year 2019' by IJ Global.
While on secondment to Société Générale in Paris he gained invaluable, hands-on experience as in-house legal counsel to the bank’s Energy and Natural Resources team.
His experience includes advising:
- Neoen on the development and A$160M project financing of the 300MW/ 450MWh Victorian Big Battery in Victoria, Australia.
- Neoen on the development and project financing of the 460MWp Western Downs Solar Farm in Queensland, Australia.
- ESCO Pacific in relation to the financing and sale of the 175MW Finley Solar Farm in Victoria, Australia.
- Neoen on the offtake agreements and financing of the Bulgana Green Power Hub a 194MW wind farm and 20MW energy storage facility in Victoria, Australia. This deal was awarded IJ Global’s ‘Asia-Pacific Energy Storage Deal of the Year 2018’.
- Neoen on the development and financing of the 128MW Numurkah Solar Farm in Victoria, Australia.
- Nord/LB in relation to the financing of the 112MW Karadoc Solar Farm in Victoria, Australia.
- FRV in relation to the offtake agreements and financing of the 100MW Lilyvale Solar Farm in Queensland, Australia.
- Neoen and John Laing on the A$650 million portfolio refinancing of all three stages of the Hornsdale Wind Farm in South Australia
- Neoen on the portfolio refinancing of the Parkes, Griffith and Dubbo Solar Projects.
- Neoen in relation to the offtake agreements and financing of the 180MW Coleambally Solar Farm in New South Wales, Australia.
- Infigen in relation to the offtake arrangements for the Bodangora Wind Farm in New South Wales, Australia.*
- Nexif Energy in relation to the offtake agreements and financing of the 212MW Lincoln Gap Wind Farm in South Australia.
- Energy Development Corporation in relation to the US$315 million ECA-backed financing and development of the 150MW Burgos Wind Farm in the Philippines. This deal that was awarded ‘Asia-Pacific Renewables Deal of the Year 2014’ by Project Finance International *
- Hydro Tasmania in relation to the offtake arrangements, ECA-backed financing and sale to Shenhua of the 168MW Musselroe Wind Farm in Tasmania, Australia.
- General Electric and CWP in relation to the offtake arrangements and financing of the 270MW Boco Rock wind farm in New South Wales, Australia.*
- AGL on its acquisition of Macquarie Generation’s thermal power assets in New South Wales, including advising on the target’s hedging arrangements.*
- A confidential client in relation to the offtake arrangements of four gas-fired power plants in the Philippines.*
- A bidding consortium in relation to the 1800MW Sumsel 9 and 10 Mine Mouth Coal Fired IPP in Indonesia.*
- The financiers in relation to the refinancing of the 850MW Millmerran Power Station in Queensland, Australia.*
- The winning consortium on its successful bid for (and subsequent unwinding of) the East West Link Road Project.*
- The lenders on the Queensland New Generation Rollingstock PPP in relation to A$900 million financing of 75 new six car trains and related infrastructure in Queensland, Australia.*
- One of the lenders on a US$1.8bn syndicated loan made available to the Chevron operated Angola LNG project.
*Experience prior to joining White & Case.