Paul Tang is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity Practice, based in Hong Kong. Paul regularly advises private equity funds and their portfolios, public and private companies and other investment institutions in their cross-border strategic M&As, buyouts, growth capital investments, joint ventures, restructurings and dispositions. He has extensive experience advising both multinational corporate clients on their strategic investments in China and Chinese companies on their outbound M&A transactions.
Paul brings over a dozen years of experience, spanning a broad range of sectors including TMT, healthcare, industrials and resources.
His experience includes representing:
- Alibaba on its various equity investments in growth capital targets, including SenseTime, a leading artificial intelligence company.
- Bain Capital in Bain consortium's acquisition of a majority equity stake in Carver Korea Co., Ltd, a Korean cosmetics company.
- CIC Capital Corporation in its Series A financing of Esco Lifesciences Group Ltd., a Singapore-headquartered medical device manufacturer with global presence.
- CMC Capital Partners in various private equity transactions in China involving a number of media and entertainment targets, including its investments in Leqee, a China-based e-commerce company; Kuaikan World, a China-based TMT company developing and operating an online comic application platform; Yishou, a Chinese supply chain management company; Yatsen Holding Limited, a manufacturer of cosmetic products under the brand name "Perfect Diary" in Greater China; and TheBeastShop, a Chinese e-commerce company focusing on flora products.
- Ctrip in connection with its joint venture with Standard Chartered Bank, PCCW Limited and Hong Kong Telecom. The joint venture engages in virtual banking business in Hong Kong.
- NetEase, Inc., a leading Chinese technology company listed on Nasdaq, in its various cross-border investment, divestment and strategic collaboration transactions relating to game studios and online music in Europe and North America.
- Zhejiang Huayou Cobalt on the joint venture with Ford Motor Company and PT Vale Indonesia Tbk to jointly invest in the Pomalaa Block High-Pressure Acid Leaching (HPAL) Project in Indonesia. This project will advance more sustainable nickel production and support an accelerated energy transition. The project also marks the first integrated joint venture between a leading Chinese mining company and a western automaker. The transaction won Deal of the Year by China Business Law Journal 2023.
- Zynga, Inc., a global leader in interactive entertainment, in its US$525 million acquisition of StarLark, developer of the fast-growing and second-largest mobile golf game in the world, Golf Rival, from Betta Games.
*Includes experience prior to joining White & Case