“Tim is an extremely dedicated and client-oriented lawyer. He really cares about his clients, providing very high output and bandwidth, with very high consistency.”
Tim Fourteau helps equity and debt investors navigate complex investments in infrastructure projects. In particular, he has a strong focus advising on power, energy and digital infrastructure projects in Asia-Pacific (including on data center projects). He specializes in project development and finance, and also has extensive experience on M&A and structured corporate financing transactions. He has lived in Singapore, New York City, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, London, Brussels and Paris.
Tim is an adjunct professor at the Sorbonne University Law School - Asia where he has been teaching a seminar on finance transactions since 2012.
Clients say that: "Tim is a very knowledgeable lawyer who is willing to roll up his sleeves and drive the process personally. Unlike my experiences with some other leading law firms, Tim is deeply involved and engaged with the client in the legal discussions. I can certainly see a lot of drive and commitment from Tim that he takes a very personal approach to help his clients achieve a successful outcome in the entire engagement." Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023
"We have had the privilege of working with Tim Fourteau and his team on a recent transaction and were delighted with the high quality legal advice that we obtained. Tim fights relentlessly to ensure our best interests as a financier, yet at the same time balances it with sound commercial acumen to ensure we do not miss the forest for the trees. It is rare to find a legal counsel who manages to balance both legal and commercial aspects perfectly, and Tim manages to do it consistently, with clear and simple articulation of his thoughts / views. He is also readily available for discussions, which we do appreciate given the tight turnaround times we have to adhere to on the transaction." Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023
"Tim has a very strong commercial sense and is solution-oriented, offering practical advice and a balanced view, which is helpful." Chambers Asia-Pacific 2022, Projects & Infrastructure: International
"Tim is very responsive, efficient and quick." Chambers Asia-Pacific 2022, Projects & Infrastructure: International
Tim is the exclusive winner of the 2022 Client Choice Award by Lexology for the Singapore Project Finance category. This award recognizes partners who stand apart for the excellent client care they provide and the quality of their service. "The criteria for this recognition focus on an ability to add real value to clients' business above and beyond the other players in the market. Uniquely, law firms and partners can only be nominated by corporate counsel."
His experience includes representation of:
Power (renewables and conventional)
- An international developer on its acquisition and joint venture negotiations with a Taiwanese conglomerate in respect of an offshore wind project in Taiwan.
- An international developer on its acquisition and joint venture negotiations with a Korean conglomerate in respect of an offshore wind project in Taiwan.
- A Korean developer on its acquisition of equity interests in a solar developer in Vietnam.
- An international developer on its acquisition and joint venture negotiations with a Korean conglomerate in respect of an offshore wind project in South Korea.
- Ghazanfar Group, as sponsor, on the development and financing of the 58.6 MW Mazar gas-fired power plant in Afghanistan, which is the first privately funded gas-to-power IPP in Afghanistan.
- ADB, JBIC, Nippon Export and Investment Insurance, and the commercial bank lenders in the US$440 million project financing of the 80-MW Muara Laboh Geothermal Power Project in West Sumatra, Indonesia. This is one of the pioneer new generation geothermal projects undertaken under the Fast Track 2 program and one of the first projects to successfully negotiate the new, agreed bankable form of government support under the Fast Track 2 program.*
- ADB JBIC, NEXI, and a consortium of commercial bank lenders in the US$701 million project financing of the 98.4-MW Rantau Dedap Geothermal Power Project in South Sumatra, Indonesia. This deal was named Geothermal Deal of the Year at IJGlobal Asia Pacific Awards 2018.*
- Bank of Ayudhya PCL, Export-Import Bank of Thailand, Krung Thai Bank PCL, and Thanachart Bank PCL, in the approximately US$1.04 billion financing for the Xe-Pian Xe-Namnoy Hydroelectric Power Project, a 410-MW hydroelectric power facility in Lao PDR. This deal was named 2014 Project Finance Deal of the Year at The Asian Lawyer's inaugural Emerging Markets awards.*
- A developer in the development and financing of a solar power project in Bangladesh.*
- JBIC in the US$3.35 billion project financing of the 2 x 1000-MW ultra-supercritical coal-fired Tanjung Jati B 5 & 6 Power Project in Jepara, Central Java, Indonesia.*
- Bangkok Bank Ltd and the commercial bank lenders in the US$2.97 billion financing of the Hongsa coal-fired mine-mouth power project, Thailand's largest project financing syndication to date and the first thermal power project in Laos.*
Petrochemicals and Refining
- PT Kilang Pertamina Balikpapan in the multi-billion development and ECA-backed project financing of the Balikpapan refinery expansion in Indonesia.
- Lotte Chemical Corporation in connection with the multi-billion dollar development and financing of a petrochemical project in Indonesia by K-EXIM and K-SURE.
- Air Products and Chemicals, Inc. in connection with its plan to design, build, own, and operate a coal-to-methanol processing and production plant in Indonesia.
- An international developer on the development and financing of a petrochemicals project in Malaysia.
- Jurong Aromatics Corporation Pte. Ltd. in the US$2.63 billion development and financing of the Jurong Aromatics petrochemicals project in Singapore. This deal was named Asia-Pacific Petrochemical Deal of the Year by PFI.*
- PT Pertamina (Persero) in the US$25 billion upgrade and expansion of the Cilicap, Balongan, Plaju, Dumai, and Balikpapan refineries in Indonesia.*
PT Pertamina (Persero), the national oil company of Indonesia, in connection with its partial sale of shares in a subsidiary company which owns and operates a large oil refinery.*
A global chemicals distribution and development company in its investment in a Malaysian petrochemical company.*
A global chemicals distribution and development company in its investment in an Egyptian petrochemical company.*
LNG, LPG and other Oil & Gas Infrastructure
- An infrastructure fund on its proposed acquisition of urban gas businesses in South Korea.
- A developer on the proposed development of an LPG infrastructure project (including storage and bottling) in Bangladesh.
- PT Pertamina EP Cepu in the US$1.84 billion project financing of gas processing facilities and pipelines located in Bojonegoro Regency, East Java, Indonesia. The deal was name Asia-Pacific Oil & Gas Deal of the Year by PFI.*
- Satuan Kerja Khusus Pelaksana Kegiatan Usaha Hulu Minyak dan Gas Bumi (SKK Migas) in the US$3.75 billion project financing of the Tangguh Train 3 Project, which includes the development and expansion of a third LNG process train to the existing Tangguh LNG facility in West Papua, Indonesia.*
- PT Pertamina (Persero) in the development and US$2.8 billion financing of the Donggi-Senoro LNG project in Indonesia. This project was awarded Asia Pacific Oil & Gas Deal of the Year at IJGlobal's Americas and Asia-Pacific 2014 Awards.
Digital Infrastructure and other Infrastructure
- Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation on the project financing for the Digital Seoul 1 (ICN10) data center project located in Seoul, South Korea. This is one of the first data center project financings in South Korea.
- A data center developer on the development of a data center in the Philippines.
- A data center developer on the acquisition financing of a data center in Taiwan.
- A data center developer on the project financing of a data center in Jakarta.
- The lenders to a consortium bidding on a street lighting PPP project in the United Arab Emirates.
*Experience prior to joining White & Case
"Exploring Indonesia's Renewable Energy Prospect and Key Legal Aspects" organized by ET-Asia, October 29, 2021
"Coal Phase-Out – Drivers towards Indonesia's Biomass & Co-Firing Development" at the Indonesia – Biomass & Co-Firing Opportunities Conference held on August 26, 2021
"Optimism Builds in Cambodia's LNG-To-Power Sector," July 14, 2021
"LNG to Power Projects in Asia-Pacific: Turning Prospects into Realities", March 11, 2021, a speaker for the White & Case Webinar Series on LNG to Power Projects in Asia-Pacific
"Opportunities in a fossil-fuel based sector indispensable to the energy transition in Indonesia", The Business Times, September 2022
"The LNG price spike has forced countries to rethink their energy security": Tim Fourteau, White & Case, Gas Strategies, February 2022
"The sun beneath our feet: geothermal power development in Asia-Pacific", Project Finance International, December 2021
"Biomass offers Indonesia a way out of its net-zero emissions dilemma", Nikkei Asia, October 2021
"Trend Spotting", LNG Industry Magazine, September 2021
"Brunei: Privatizing Power", August 2021
"Winds of change lift Indonesian renewables", The Business Times, June 2021
"Prospects for LNG-to-power in Cambodia", White & Case, May 2021
"LNG-to-Power in Cambodia", Project Finance International, Global Energy Report 2021
"JTB Steps on the Indonesian Gas", Project Finance International, September 2019
"Rantau Dedap Steams Ahead", Project Finance International, January 2019
Quoted in "Asia's enticing data centre proposition", Infrastructure Investor, May 2022
Quoted in: "White & Case advises data centre project in Korea", Asia Business Law Journal, March 2022
Quoted in "Wind of change in Vietnam", Infrastructure Investor, March 2022
Quoted in "As renewables take flight, has LNG-to power lost its shine for booming Vietnam?", LNG Business Review, January 2022
Quoted in: "Digital Realty opens South Korea data centre", IJGlobal, January 2022
Quoted in "As renewables take flight, has LNG-to-power lost its shine for booming Vietnam?", Gas Strategies, January 2022
Quoted in "Vietnam scales back on LNG in latest power plan, but several projects expected to proceed", Gas Matters Today, November 2021
Quoted in "ExxonMobil eyes CCS potential in SE Asia as pressure grows to curb emissions", Gas Matters Today, November 2021
Quoted in "Will Vietnam's new PPP law boost the 'country of the day' further?", Infrastructure Investor, September 2021
Quoted in "Is a 10-year deal the new "long term" duration for LNG", LNG Journal, September 2021
Quoted in "New Fortress Energy sets eyes on Sri Lanka as it pursues global expansion", Gas Strategies, August 2021
Quoted in "Optimism builds in Cambodia's LNG-to-Power sector", Natural Gas World, July 2021
Exclusive winner of the 2022 Client Choice Award by Lexology for the Singapore Project Finance category