“He is very responsive, efficient and quick.”
Tim Fourteau helps equity and debt investors navigate complex investments in power, energy and infrastructure projects. He has a strong focus advising on renewable, petrochemical, LNG and data center projects in Asia-Pacific. He has advised developers, commercial banks, multilateral development banks and export credit agencies on transactions across the globe. He also has extensive experience on power and energy- related M&A and structured corporate financing transactions. He has lived in Singapore, New York City, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, London, Brussels and Paris.
Tim is an adjunct professor at the Sorbonne University Law School - Asia where he has been teaching a seminar on finance transactions since 2012.
His experience includes representation of:
Power (renewables and conventional)
- An international developer on its acquisition and joint venture negotiations with a Korean conglomerate in respect of an offshore wind project in South Korea.
- Ghazanfar Group, as sponsor, on the development and financing of the 58.6 MW Mazar gas-fired power plant in Afghanistan, which is the first privately funded gas-to-power IPP in Afghanistan.
- ADB, JBIC, Nippon Export and Investment Insurance, and the commercial bank lenders in the US$440 million project financing of the 80-MW Muara Laboh Geothermal Power Project in West Sumatra, Indonesia. This is one of the pioneer new generation geothermal projects undertaken under the Fast Track 2 program and one of the first projects to successfully negotiate the new, agreed bankable form of government support under the Fast Track 2 program.*
- ADB JBIC, NEXI, and a consortium of commercial bank lenders in the US$701 million project financing of the 98.4-MW Rantau Dedap Geothermal Power Project in South Sumatra, Indonesia. This deal was named Geothermal Deal of the Year at IJGlobal Asia Pacific Awards 2018.*
- Bank of Ayudhya PCL, Export-Import Bank of Thailand, Krung Thai Bank PCL, and Thanachart Bank PCL, in the approximately US$1.04 billion financing for the Xe-Pian Xe-Namnoy Hydroelectric Power Project, a 410-MW hydroelectric power facility in Lao PDR. This deal was named 2014 Project Finance Deal of the Year at The Asian Lawyer's inaugural Emerging Markets awards.*
- A developer in the development and financing of a solar power project in Bangladesh.*
- JBIC in the US$3.35 billion project financing of the 2 x 1000-MW ultra-supercritical coal-fired Tanjung Jati B 5 & 6 Power Project in Jepara, Central Java, Indonesia.*
- Bangkok Bank Ltd and the commercial bank lenders in the US$2.97 billion financing of the Hongsa coal-fired mine-mouth power project, Thailand's largest project financing syndication to date and the first thermal power project in Laos.*
Petrochemicals and Refining
- Air Products and Chemicals, Inc. in connection with its plan to design, build, own, and operate a coal-to-methanol processing and production plant in Indonesia.
- The project company on the multi-billion dollar financing of a petrochemical project in Indonesia.
- An international developer on the development and financing of a petrochemicals project in Malaysia.
- Jurong Aromatics Corporation Pte. Ltd. in the US$2.63 billion development and financing of the Jurong Aromatics petrochemicals project in Singapore. This deal was named Asia-Pacific Petrochemical Deal of the Year by PFI.*
- PT Pertamina (Persero) in the US$25 billion upgrade and expansion of the Cilicap, Balongan, Plaju, Dumai, and Balikpapan refineries in Indonesia.*
PT Pertamina (Persero), the national oil company of Indonesia, in connection with its partial sale of shares in a subsidiary company which owns and operates a large oil refinery.*
A global chemicals distribution and development company in its investment in a Malaysian petrochemical company.*
A global chemicals distribution and development company in its investment in an Egyptian petrochemical company.*
LNG, LPG and other Oil & Gas Infrastructure
- An infrastructure fund on its proposed acquisition of urban gas businesses in South Korea.
- A developer on the proposed development of an LPG infrastructure project (including storage and bottling) in Bangladesh.
- PT Pertamina EP Cepu in the US$1.84 billion project financing of gas processing facilities and pipelines located in Bojonegoro Regency, East Java, Indonesia. The deal was name Asia-Pacific Oil & Gas Deal of the Year by PFI.*
- Satuan Kerja Khusus Pelaksana Kegiatan Usaha Hulu Minyak dan Gas Bumi (SKK Migas) in the US$3.75 billion project financing of the Tangguh Train 3 Project, which includes the development and expansion of a third LNG process train to the existing Tangguh LNG facility in West Papua, Indonesia.*
- PT Pertamina (Persero) in the development and US$2.8 billion financing of the Donggi-Senoro LNG project in Indonesia. This project was awarded Asia Pacific Oil & Gas Deal of the Year at IJGlobal's Americas and Asia-Pacific 2014 Awards.
Digital Infrastructure and other Infrastructure
- Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation on the project financing for the Digital Seoul 1 (ICN10) data center project located in Seoul, South Korea. This is one of the first data center project financings in South Korea.
- A data center developer on the development of a data center in the Philippines.
- A data center developer on the acquisition financing of a data center in Taiwan.
- A data center developer on the project financing of a data center in Jakarta.
- The lenders to a consortium bidding on a street lighting PPP project in the United Arab Emirates.
*Experience prior to joining White & Case
"Exploring Indonesia's Renewable Energy Prospect and Key Legal Aspects" organized by ET-Asia, October 29, 2021
"Coal Phase-Out – Drivers towards Indonesia's Biomass & Co-Firing Development" at the Indonesia – Biomass & Co-Firing Opportunities Conference held on August 26, 2021
"Optimism Builds in Cambodia's LNG-To-Power Sector," July 14, 2021
"LNG to Power Projects in Asia-Pacific: Turning Prospects into Realities", March 11, 2021, a speaker for the White & Case Webinar Series on LNG to Power Projects in Asia-Pacific
"The LNG price spike has forced countries to rethink their energy security": Tim Fourteau, White & Case, Gas Strategies, 17 February 2022
"The sun beneath our feet: geothermal power development in Asia-Pacific", Project Finance International, December 2021
"Biomass offers Indonesia a way out of its net-zero emissions dilemma", Nikkei Asia, October 14, 2021
"Trend Spotting", LNG Industry Magazine, September 2021
"Winds of change lift Indonesian renewables", The Business Times, June 2021
"Prospects for LNG-to-power in Cambodia", White & Case, May 2021
"LNG-to-Power in Cambodia", Project Finance International, Global Energy Report 2021
"JTB Steps on the Indonesian Gas", Project Finance International, September 2019
"Rantau Dedap Steams Ahead", Project Finance International, January 2019
"Tangguh LNG Goes Domestic", Project Finance International, Global Energy Report 2017
"Xe-Pian Plants a Milestone", Project Finance International, March 2014
"Introduction to the Project Finance Market in South America", Latin Lawyer, 2010
"Project Finance in Argentina", Latin Lawyer, 2010
Quoted in "Asia's enticing data centre proposition", Infrastructure Investor, May 2022
Quoted in "Wind of change in Vietnam", Infrastructure Investor, March 2022
Quoted in "As renewables take flight, has LNG-to power lost its shine for booming Vietnam?", LNG Business Review, January2022
Quoted in: "Digital Realty opens South Korea data centre", IJGlobal, January 2022Quoted
Quoted in "As renewables take flight, has LNG-to-power lost its shine for booming Vietnam?", Gas Strategies, January 2022
Quoted in "Vietnam scales back on LNG in latest power plan, but several projects expected to proceed", Gas Matters Today, November 2021
Quoted in "ExxonMobil eyes CCS potential in SE Asia as pressure grows to curb emissions", Gas Matters Today, November 2021
Quoted in "Will Vietnam's new PPP law boost the 'country of the day' further?", Infrastructure Investor, September 2021
Quoted in "Is a 10-year deal the new "long term" duration for LNG", LNG Journal, September 2021
Quoted in "New Fortress Energy sets eyes on Sri Lanka as it pursues global expansion", Gas Strategies, August 2021
Quoted in "Optimism builds in Cambodia's LNG-to-Power sector", Natural Gas World, July 2021
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2022: Up & Coming – Projects & Infrastructure: International – Singapore