The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020
“Eugene will deliver even within the tightest timeline. His work ethic is incredible.”
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020
Eugene is a Partner in the Hong Kong office of White & Case LLP, and Head of Debt Finance and Restructuring, Asia-Pacific. He also serves as the Executive Partner for the Hong Kong office of the Firm.
Eugene represents banks and other financial institutions, corporates and financial sponsors, on a wide range of highly structured cross-border leveraged and corporate finance transactions, and include equity margin financings, pre-IPO and structured financings, gaming financings, project financings, real estate financings and other event driven financings. He also advises banks and corporates on non-contentious insolvency and restructuring matters.
Eugene has advised clients on some of Asia's most high-profile financing transactions, such as the multi-award-winning financing transactions for Alibaba Group, China's e-commerce giant.
Eugene is dual-qualified in Hong Kong and England and Wales, and has been ranked in his field in Chambers Asia Pacific. He is recognized as one of Asia's best young lawyers by Asian Legal Business' 40 under 40 2019 and is also the exclusive winner of the Banking category for Hong Kong given by the ILO Client Choice Awards 2016.
HK$14.85 billion financing for Melco Resorts & Entertainment Limited
Advised the joint global coordinators, senior mandated lead arrangers and bookrunners on a HK$14.85 billion senior revolving credit facility to MCO Nominee One Limited, a subsidiary of Melco Resorts & Entertainment Limited, a developer, owner and operator of casino gaming and entertainment resort facilities in Asia. The facility refinanced an existing senior secured financing of the Melco Resorts Macau group, and provides an option to incur further indebtedness under incremental facilities of up to HK$7.75 billion.
Financing for acquisition of the LELO group
Advised the mandated lead arrangers and bookrunners in relation to a senior secured term loan facility to a CITIC Capital led consortium for the acquisition of the LELO group. The LELO group is an award-winning designer brand and world-leading provider of intimate lifestyle products and sensual toys.
Financing for Lifestyles Healthcare
Advised the mandated lead arrangers and bookrunners in US$238 million term and revolving facilities to Lifestyles Healthcare Pte. Ltd., a portfolio company owned by CITIC Capital and Humanwell Healthcare, to refinance its 2018 acquisition financing.
US$10 billion of financings for Ant Financial
- Advised the mandated lead arrangers and bookrunners on the amendment and extension of the 2017 facilities and concurrent upsize to an aggregate US$6.5 billion senior secured revolving credit facilities for Alipay (Hong Kong) Holding Limited, in 2019.
- Advised mandated lead arrangers and bookrunners on a US$3.5 billion senior secured term and revolving loan financing to Alipay (Hong Kong) Holding Limited, in 2017. The proceeds of the facilities were made available for, among other things, Alipay's intended take-private acquisition of MoneyGram International Inc. and other investments.
Financing for acquisition of Deutsche Hospitality by Huazhu Group (f.k.a. China Lodging Group)
Advised JPMorgan, Deutsche Bank and Morgan Stanley as mandated lead arrangers and bookrunners on a EUR440 million term loan facility and US$500 million revolving loan facility to Huazhu Group (formerly known as China Lodging Group) for its acquisition of Frankfurt-based Deutsche Hospitality and refinancing existing debt.
Loans to Dianchi International
Advised Morgan Stanley and other lenders in US$150 million and HK$950 million syndicated term loans to Dianchi International Holdings Limited. The loan was guaranteed by Kunming Dianchi Water Treatment Co., Ltd.
Financing for Acquisition of Euromoney's GMID by CITIC Capital and Caixin Global
Advised the consortium led by CITIC Capital Partners and Caixin Global on the financing for their US$180.5 million acquisition of Euromoney's Global Markets Intelligence Division (GMID).
Financing for Privatisation of CWT Limited by HNA
Advised the private credit fund and other financial institutions on the financing to subsidiaries of HNA Holding Group Co., Ltd. for the voluntary general offer for all the issued shares in CWT Limited, a Singapore-listed integrated logistics solutions provider.
US$24.15 billion of financings for Alibaba Group Holding Limited
- Advised the mandated lead arrangers on a US$5.15 billion financing to Alibaba Group Holding Limited, China's e-commerce giant, in 2017. The loan is provided by a club of 13 banks appointed by the Borrower.
- Advised the mandated lead arrangers on a US$4 billion financing to Alibaba Group Holding Limited in 2016.
- Advised the mandated lead arrangers on a US$3 billion financing to Alibaba Group Holding Limited, in 2014.
- Advised the mandated lead arrangers on a US$8 billion financing to Alibaba Group Holding Limited, a deal named "Best Loan" at the FinanceAsia Achievement Awards 2013, "Syndicated Corporate Deal of the Year" and "Syndicated Deal of the Year" at the Asia Pacific Syndicated Loan Awards 2014, "Debt Market Deal of the Year" at the ALB China Law Awards 2014, as well as "Debt Market Deal of the Year" and "Hong Kong Deal of the Year" at the ALB Hong Kong Law Awards 2014. The funds were partly used to refinance the award-winning two-stage US$4 billion financing on which we advised the mandated lead arrangers in 2012.
- Advised the mandated lead arrangers on the award-winning two-stage US$4 billion financing to Alibaba Group Holding Limited. The financing was in support of the take private of Alibaba.com Ltd. in May 2012 and the purchase of Yahoo!'s 40 percent stake in Alibaba Group Holding Limited in September 2012.
Financings and refinancings for Reignwood Group
- Advised Deutsche Bank as mandated lead arranger and bookrunner on a US$125 million and EUR115 million refinancing term loan facility to Reignwood Group, secured by Ten Trinity Square in 2020.
- Advised Deutsche Bank as mandated lead arranger on a US$150 million and GBP112 million refinancing term loan facility to Reignwood Group, a multinational investor and developer, secured by Ten Trinity Square, a mixed-use building in London, United Kingdom in 2018.
- Advised Deutsche Bank as mandated lead arranger on a US$500 million term loan facility to Reignwood Group, secured by Ten Trinity Square in 2015.
US$1.2 billion Senior Secured Notes and HK$233 million Super Senior Revolving Credit Facility for Studio City Macau
Advised the financial institutions on the Rule 144A/Regulation S offering of US$1.2 billion senior secured notes due 2019 and senior secured notes due 2021 by Studio City Company Limited (SCC), and on the HK$233 million super senior revolving credit facility (SSRCF) for SCC. SCC is 60 percent held indirectly by Melco Crown Entertainment Limited, a developer, owner and operator of casino gaming and entertainment resort facilities in Asia, with the remaining 40 percent held indirectly by New Cotai, LLC.The offering consisted of US$350 million aggregate principal amount 5.875 percent senior secured notes due 2019, and US$850 million aggregate principal amount 7.25 percent senior secured notes due 2021. It is the largest high yield corporate bond in Asia so far in 2016, and involved complex intercreditor and security interest arrangements in one of the first corporate pari bank-bond transactions with a super senior revolving credit facility in the region. This deal won the "High Yield Deal of the Year" award at the IFLR Asia Awards 2017.
US$600 million 7.250% senior notes of Studio City Finance Limited
Advised Deutsche Bank AG, Singapore Branch and Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited and other initial purchasers in connection with the Rule 144A/Regulation S offering of US$600 million 7.250% senior notes due 2024 of Studio City Finance Limited and Deutsche Bank AG, as dealer-manager, in the concurrent tender offer for Studio City Finance Limited's existing US$425 million 8.50% senior notes due 2020. Other initial purchasers are BOCI Asia Limited, Bank of Communications Co., Ltd. Macau Branch, Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (Asia) Limited, ICBC (Macau) Capital Limited and Mizuho Securities Asia Limited.
US$2 billion financing for Take Private of Mindray Medical International Limited
Advised Bank of China Limited Macau Branch and Ping An Bank as mandated lead arrangers on a US$2 billion financing of the take private of Shenzhen-headquartered Mindray Medical International Limited, a leading developer, manufacturer and marketer of medical devices worldwide formerly listed on the NYSE.
US$1.75 billion financing for Melco Crown Macau
Advised the coordinating arrangers and bookrunners on an amendment and extension to senior secured facilities of Melco Crown (Macau) Limited, a subsidiary of Melco Crown Entertainment Limited, a developer, owner and operator of casino gaming and entertainment resort facilities in Asia. The amended facilities provide for US$1,750 million in senior facilities, consisting of a US$500 million six-year term loan and a US$1,000 million five-year revolving credit facility, which amount may be increased by an additional US$250 million.
Recognized as one of Asia's best young lawyers by Asian Legal Business' 40 under 40 2019
Exclusive winner of the Banking category for Hong Kong, The ILO Client Choice Awards 2016
Recommended Lawyer, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2014 – 2020
Banking & Finance – Hong Kong
Recommended Lawyer, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015 -2018
Real Estate – Hong Kong