Francisco Málaga is a partner in the Firm´s Global Commercial Litigation and Arbitration Practices in Madrid.
He has extensive experience in advising corporate and financial institutions on many aspects of litigation. Francisco is a Doctor of Law and has been a tenured lecturer in dispute resolution at the Universidad Pompeu Fabra de Barcelona for more than 20 years. He currently teaches at the Law Faculty of ICADE, in Madrid. Francisco has also published many books, articles and commentaries on various dispute resolution issues and he speaks regularly at seminars and conferences on dispute resolution and insolvency matters.
He has been considered a leading individual in dispute resolution and arbitration in the Chambers editions from 2012 to 2018. Clients praise his availability, quickness to respond and high-quality knowledge. He is described as a very professional lawyer and an excellent litigator.
Francisco is a member of the advisory committee of the Court of Arbitration of the Madrid Chamber of Commerce, the panel of arbitrators at the Barcelona Arbitral Tribunal, and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIARB).
Examples of his experience in Commercial Litigation and Arbitration includes advising:
- Apple on a collective claim brought by a consumer association in Spain*.
- Goldman Sachs and Encasa Cibeles on a civil procedure aimed at unwinding the acquisition of a large amount of social housing from the Madrid Regional Government*.
- Globalvia on a dispute for the control of Itínere Infraestructuras*.
- A leading company in the Spanish electricity sector in a LCIA arbitration regarding the costs incurred in the shipping of liquefied natural in accordance with a New York-law governed long-term sale and purchase agreement*.
- An international construction company on an ICC arbitration in Paris against an African state-owned company in relation to the construction and equipping of a plant for enrichment of iron ore magnetite*.
* Experience prior to joining White & Case
Francisco has more than 20 publications (including books and legal articles) and was judge of the Court of Appeal of Barcelona (Audiencia Provincial) from 2000 to 2003.
Francisco was awarded First National Prize for the completion of the BA in Law and the Extraordinary Doctorate (PhD) Prize by the University Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona).