Neil's practice focuses on the federal income tax aspects of domestic and international transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, restructurings and capital markets transactions. He advises clients on the formation of various inbound and outbound cross-border structures, "Up-Cs" and other initial public offering vehicles, publicly traded partnerships (MLPs), joint ventures and private equity structures.
Neil served on the Editorial Board of the Virginia Law Review while in law school and was the recipient of the Edwin S. Cohen Tax Prize for demonstrating "superior scholarship in the tax area," as well as the recipient of the Mary Claiborne and Roy H. Ritter Prize for demonstrating "honor, integrity, and character." He was also an NCAA All-American tennis player while at Rollins College.
Representative matters include:
- Representation of Diamond S Shipping Inc., one of the largest publicly listed owners and operators of crude and product tankers, in its US$2 billion merger with International Seaways, Inc., one of the largest tanker companies worldwide providing energy transportation services for crude oil and petroleum products.
- Representation of ION Acquisition Corp 2 Ltd. (NYSE: IACB), a SPAC, in its US$1.3 billion business combination with Innovid, Inc., a global leader in connected TV ad delivery and measurement.
- Representation of Brookfield Infrastructure Partners L.P. in the negotiation and execution of transaction documents to establish a 50:50 joint venture with Digital Realty focused on the development, ownership and operation of institutional quality data centers in India.
- Representation of Anthem, Inc. in its acquisition of myNEXUS Inc., a post-acute benefits management company focused on delivering innovative home and community-based product offerings.
- Representation of Sixth Street Partners, LLC, a global investment firm, in its US$405 million acquisition of PDP assets from Laredo Petroleum, Inc., a company focused on exploration in the Permian basin.
Representative matters prior to joining White & Case include:
IPOs & Equity Offerings
- Representation of Fortis Minerals, LLC in its initial public offering of Class A shares utilizing an Up-C structure (In Registration).
- Representation of Tortoise Acquisition Corp., a special purpose acquisition company, in its US$233 million initial public offering of units.
- Representation of New Fortress Energy LLC in its US$291 million initial public offering of Class A shares utilizing an Up-C structure.
- Representation of Focus Financial Partners Inc. in its US$615 million initial public offering of common stock utilizing an Up-C structure.
- Representation of Liberty Oilfield Services, Inc. in its US$249 million initial public offering of common stock utilizing an Up-C structure.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Representation of Marathon Petroleum Corporation, the controlling owner of MLPX LP and Andeavor Logistics LP, as special tax counsel in MPLX LP’s US$14 billion acquisition of Andeavor Logistics LP, creating a combined midstream and logistics MLP with an estimated US$55 billion enterprise value.
- Representation of Roan Resources in its US$1 billion sale to Citizen Energy Operating, LLC, an affiliate of Warburg Pincus.
- Representation of Andeavor Logistics in the US$1.55 billion drop-down acquisition of a portfolio of logistics assets from Andeavor.
- Representation of Select Energy Services, an affiliate of Crestview Partners, in its US$1.3 billion merger with Rockwater Energy Solutions.
- Representation of Patterson-UTI Energy in its US$1.76 billion merger with Seventy Seven Energy.
- Representation of Lilis Energy, Inc. in connection with its Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing and plan of liquidation.
"Life Cycle of a Private Equity Fund Investment," Leadership Academy, Tax Section of the State Bar of Texas, January 24, 2020
"Tax Reform Update and Implications," YPE Houston Breakfast Series, January 23, 2018