Timothy (Tim) Sensenig is an associate in the International Trade Group and focuses his practice on global FDI (foreign direct investment) and US National Security regulations affecting cross-border transactions, including CFIUS (Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States), Team Telecom (Committee for the Assessment of Foreign Participation in the United States Telecommunications Services Sector), FOCI (foreign ownership, control, and influence) mitigation, and the new US OIP (Outbound Investment Program).
As a part of this practice, Tim regularly counsels sovereign wealth funds, private equity firms, and multinational corporate organizations regarding US national security aspects of foreign investment, including due diligence, transaction structuring, regulatory approvals, and mitigation negotiation. Tim also routinely coordinates across the Ffirm's global network to conduct multijurisdictional FDI due diligence and to submit ex-US FDI filings.
Tim also has experience conducting pre-transaction FCPA (US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act) due diligence and he frequently advises M&A, Debt Finance, and Capital Markets clients regarding potential risk exposure under the FCPA.
Tim actively engages in pro bono matters for the Firm. He has counselled LGBTQ-owned businesses and international environmental organizations. Tim is also a member of Spectrum, the Firm's LGBTQ affinity network.
In law school, Tim served on the editorial board for the Virginia Law Review. Prior to law school, he completed a J. William Fulbright Scholarship to Hamburg, Germany, where he taught English.
Representative matters include:
- Representation of Brookfield Infrastructure in its £4.08 billion (£12 per Homeserve share) recommended offer for HomeServe plc, a home repairs and emergency services group with businesses across the UK, US, Europe and Asia.
- Representation of TIER Mobility SE, a German micro-mobility company, in its acquisition of Skinny Labs, Inc., d/b/a Spin, a subsidiary of Ford and a US provider of rented motorized scooters.
- Representation of Guardian Alarm, a leading security alarm monitoring and services provider and portfolio company of Certares Management LLC in the sale of Guardian Medical Monitoring, LLC, a medical monitoring business and its wholly owned subsidiary to VRI Intermediate Holdings, LLC, an affiliate of Modivcare Inc., a technology-enabled healthcare services company.
- Representation of Itaú Unibanco S.A. on its investment in Avenue Holding Cayman Ltd, a brokerage that provides Brazilians with access to foreign markets.
- Representation of Saudi Aramco, one of the world's largest integrated energy and chemical companies, in its acquisition of Valvoline Inc.'s (NYSE: VVV) global products business for US$2.65 billion.
- Representation of HH & L Acquisition Co. on its business combination with DiaCarta, Ltd., a precision molecular diagnostics company and developer of novel oncology and infectious disease tests.
- Representation of Cobepa SA, a private equity investor based in Belgium with over €4.2 billion net asset value, on its acquisition of Ned Stevens, one of the leading gutter cleaning services providers in the US.