Vivian Tsoi advises multinational corporations on their operations and activities in China and China-based clients on strategies for entering overseas markets.
Recognized by professional directories as a leading practitioner in her field, Vivian's reputation is based on her significant track record, supporting clients with major mergers and acquisitions and other corporate transactions across the globe.
Drawing on her deep insight into the market environment in China with her international deal-making experience, Vivian steers clients through complex, cross-border transactions to help them achieve their expansion objectives.
Her client portfolio includes a number of major domestic and international corporations, including SDIC Fund, Haier, Saudi Aramco, Nestle and SSAB Svenskt Stal AB.
Saudi Aramco's multiple joint venture transactions in China
Saudi Aramco on its multiple joint venture transactions in China, including its proposed joint venture with PetroChina to acquire from PetroChina and operate a new 260,000 bpd grassroots, full conversion refinery at Kunming in China’s Yunnan province where the crude oil will be supplied via a pipeline from Myanmar to China. In addition, Vivian also assists Saudi Aramco in connection with other ongoing joint venture project in China.
SDIC Fund's various investments
SDIC Fund Management Co., Ltd. in its various investments including:
- as its regulatory advisor on their investment in Key Safety Systems, a subsidiary of Ningbo Joyson Electronic Corporation, to acquire the US assets of the Japan-based airbag manufacturer Takata Corporation.
- in an ownership stake in Maxwell Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXWL), a leading developer and manufacturer of capacitive energy storage and power delivery solutions.
Haier's acquisition of GE Appliances unit
Haier Group, the Chinese consumer electronics manufacturer in its:
- US$5.4 billion acquisition of GE Appliances unit from GE through an auction process. This is one of the largest acquisitions of a US company by a Chinese entity to date. This transaction is named "Cross-Border Deal of the Year" and "M&A Deal of the Year" by M&A Advisor Awards in 2016, and "M&A Deal of the Year" by ALB China Law Awards 2017.
- NZ$927 million takeover of Fisher & Paykel Appliances Holdings Limited, based in New Zealand
- acquisition of a portion of Sanyo's consumer electronics appliance businesses. The transaction included intellectual property, workforce, IT systems and distribution channels.
Chinese confectionery acquisition for Nestlé
Nestlé in its acquisition of Hsu Fu Chi, a SinPlgapore-listed Chinese confectionery manufacturer.
Sino-foreign joint ventures
H.C. Starck, Vivian advised on its two sino-foreign equity joint ventures with Jiangxi Rare Metals Tungsten Holding Group Co., Ltd for processing and manufacturing tungsten products.
US$3 billion acquisition
Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC) in the acquisition, development and financing of a US$3 billion ethylene derivatives complex in Tianjin, China, through a joint venture with Sinopec.
New M&A Rules in China Formalize Existing Policy, Corporate Counsel, February 2007, (co-authored with John Leary and Xiaoming Li)
Leading Individual: China – Corporate and M&A (Foreign Firms)
Asia Pacific Legal 500 2020
Leading Individual (Band 2): Corporate/M&A: China-based (International Firms)
Chambers Global 2019, Chambers Asia Pacific 2019 & 2020
Leading Individual China, Corporate/M&A: China-based (International Firms)
Chambers Global, Chambers Asia-Pacific 2017
Leading Individual: Mergers and Acquisitions – Foreign Firms
IFLR 1000 2014