Marcus Booth is a partner in the EMEA Corporate M&A team in our Global Mergers & Acquisitions Practice.
Ranked in the top ten Private Equity M&A Lawyers in EMEA by Financial News and recognised as an 'M&A Lawyer of the Year' and 'Private Equity Lawyer of the Year' by a number of awarding bodies across EMEA and Asia for 2022, Marcus co-leads the Firm's financial sponsor practice in the Middle East and North Africa, advising sovereign wealth fund, private equity, alternative capital provider (ACPs) and corporate clients on all forms of M&A, alternative capital transactions, portfolio assistance and restructuring advice.
M&A and Private Equity
- Representation of Saudi Arabian Oil Company (Saudi Aramco) on a long term infrastructure deal with a consortium led by EIG Global Energy Partners (EIG), one of the world's leading infrastructure investors, to optimize its assets through a lease-and-lease-back arrangement involving its stabilized crude oil pipeline network. Saudi Aramco will receive upfront proceeds of around US$12.4 billion.
- Representation of Mediclinic on its first strategic expansion into the kingdom of Saudi Arabia, via a joint venture with Saudi Arabia's Al Murjan group.
- Representation of Alameda Healthcare Group on its sale to Cleopatra Hospital Group, Egypt's largest private hospital operator, in exchange for convertible loan notes issued to Alameda’s controlling shareholder.
- Representation of GSO Capital Partners and its affiliates on a three-tier financing package to support Advent International's approximately £4 billion acquisition of leading global technology and services innovator Cobham plc.
- Representation of CI Capital Holding for Financial Investments, Egypt's leading diversified financial services and investment group, on the indirect acquisition with a group of co-investors of a 60 percent interest in Taaleem Management Services Company SAE, a leading higher education platform in Egypt which controls and operates Nahda University in Beni Suef for a total consideration of EGP 1.2 billion (circa GBP 60 million).
- Representation of Basalt Infrastructure Partners LP on its acquisition of bn:t Blatzheim Networks Telecom GmbH and SOCO Network Solution, full-service telecommunications providers based in Germany.
- Representation of The Industrialization and Energy Services Company (TAQA) and Arabian Drilling Company (ADC) on its US$415m acquisition of drilling rigs and related assets from Schlumberger in Kuwait, Oman, Iraq and Pakistan.
- Representation of Goldman Sachs International in its primary and secondary purchase of minority of shares in Modanisa Elektronik Mağazacılık ve Ticaret A.Ş from a number of individual and corporate sellers. The target is an online retailer operating in the e-commerce space that sells modern conservative clothing and accessories for Muslim women.
- Representation of the Al Blehed family in relation to the sale of Ma'arif Holding Company for Education and Training (the largest owner and operator of private schools in Saudi Arabia) to GEMS Education and Hassana Investment Company. This is one of the biggest deals in the education sector in Saudi Arabia to date.
- Representation of A15, a leading tech investment fund, on its sale of a 76 percent stake in its United Arab Emirates-based fintech company TPAY Mobile FZ-LLC (TPAY) to Africa's leading private investment firm Helios Investment Partners.
- Representation of GSO Capital Partners LP on their debt and minority equity investment to support iAero Group in a highly complex transaction aimed at creating a pan-American aviation business, including the acquisitions of AeroThrust Holdings, LLC and Miami Tech Aircraft Maintenance Inc.
- Representation of Goldman Sachs and Blackstone Tactical Opportunities on their investment in Prima Assicurazioni.
- Representation of Goldman Sachs on the €108.5 million acquisition by Goldman Sachs and Cromwell Property Group of a portfolio of 24 office properties and three plots in the Helsinki Metropolitan Area from IVG Polar Oy.
- Representation of Goldman Sachs Private Capital Investments on its investment in OutSystems, the global leader in low-code rapid application development.
- Representation of PT Rajawali Corporation its offer to acquire AIM-listed Archipelago Resources PLC, a UK incorporated entity listed on AIM. Archipelago's principal activities are gold mining and exploration in Indonesia.
- Representation of GSO Capital Partners LP on the £665 million sale of Miller Homes, one of the UK's largest housebuilders, to Bridgepoint.
- Representation of Johnson Matthey on the sale of its UK automotive battery systems business, a subsidiary that specializes in high-voltage automotive grade battery systems for electric and hybrid vehicles, to Cummins Inc.
- Representation of ETF Securities Limited on the equity, US and debt financing aspects of the US$611 million sale of its European exchange-traded commodity, currency and short-and-leveraged business to WisdomTree Investments, Inc.
- Representation of Anchorage Capital Group on a joint offer (alongside M&G Investment Management) for all of the equity and stapled debt in the PHS Group, a leading provider of workplace services in the UK.
- Representation of Anchorage Capital Group on its acquisition of a portfolio of assets in Sweden, Iceland and Finland by funds controlled by Anchorage Capital Europe from ALMC, hf.
- Representation of Oak Hill Advisors (Europe) LLP in connection with a subscription for shares by Growthpoint Properties Limited and/or accounts managed by Oak Hill Advisors and its affiliates raising proceeds of €200 million before expenses.
- Representation of Mayhoola for investments on its acquisition of a 30.7 percent stake in a leading Turkish retailer, Boyner Perkende for 885 million lira.
- Representation of CVC Capital Partners in leading a consortium including Temasek Holdings and Vatera Healthcare Partners in their acquisition of a controlling stake in Alvogen, a leading generic pharmaceuticals company.
- Representation of GSO Capital Partners LP in connection with its debt and equity financing for the management buyout of the XLN Telecom group from ECI Partners LLP.
- Representation of Avast Software on the sale of a significant minority stake to CVC Capital Partners.
- Representation of York Capital Management as co-investor with Invel Real Estate Partners on the acquisition of a 66% stake in NBG Pangaea Real Estate Investment Company from the National Bank of Greece for c. €653 million.
- Representation of Basalt Infrastructure Partners LP on its acquisition of 100 per cent of the ownership interest in COMAX France S.A.S from Maxim Power Corp.
- Representation of RWE AG on the c. €1.6 billion sale of NET4GAS, s.r.o.
Financial Restructuring and Insolvency
- Representation of a coordinating committee of first lien and second lien lenders in relation to the £930 million restructuring of the PHS group. Under the restructuring, the lenders carried out a partial debt for equity swap implemented pursuant to a scheme of arrangement.
- Representation of UTICO FZC, UAE's leading private water and power utility provider, in the approximately S$3bn restructuring of the Hyflux group, a Singapore water and power conglomerate listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange that employs more than 2,500 staff in Asia-Pacific, the Middle East, Africa and the Americas. Utico has committed to invest a maximum of US$400 million to fund certain payments to creditors of Hyflux, and has agreed to provide a working capital line up to US$100 million as part of the US$400 million funding. Following the restructuring, Utico and co-investors will hold 95% of the equity in Hyflux Ltd.
- Representation of the coordinating committee of senior lenders holding over $10 billion of indebtedness in restructuring of the world's largest offshore oil drilling company.
- Representation of the coordinating committee of creditors to Seven Energy, including Ashmore, Goldman Sachs and Taconic in relation to the financial restructuring of Seven Energy.
- Representation of Anchorage Capital Group LLC, GIC Private Limited. and Davidson Kempner Capital Management LP, in the sale of their interests in Eir, the principal provider of fixed-line and mobile telecoms services in Ireland, to Toohil Telecom Holdings Limited, a company controlled by NJJ.
- Representation of the coordinating committee of senior lenders in connection with the restructuring of The Findus Group.
- Representation of Anchorage and M&G on the disposal of PHS to Bidvest for an EV of £495 million.
- Representation of a leading advisory firm as the administrator of one of the largest emerging markets PE investors globally, in connection with its investment in a petroleum business engaged in oil refining and the sale of petroleum.
- Representation of a sovereign wealth fund on the rescue financing of a retail business.
PSC register: Unintended consequences in the search for transparency?, Practical Law Finance
Private Equity Lawyer of the Year (UAE) - The Legal 100 Asia 2022
Best Partner of the Year (UAE) - The Legal 100 Asia 2022
M&A Lawyer of the Year (UAE) - The Legal 100 Asia 2022
M&A Lawyer of the Year in the United Arab Emirates
Global Law Experts Annual Awards, 2022
Awarded Financial News Top 10 Private Equity M&A lawyer in EMEA, 2021.
M&A Lawyer of the Year in the United Arab Emirates
Lawyer Network Annual Awards, 2021
Private Equity Lawyer of the Year
Lawyer International, Legal 100, 2021
M&A Lawyer of the Year
Innovation & Excellence Awards, 2021
Private Equity Lawyer of the Year in the United Arab Emirates
Global Law Experts Annual Awards, 2021
Clients say he is "out of this world in terms of client service; he always goes the extra mile."
Corporate M&A, Chambers & Partners, UAE, 2021
IFLR 1000, M&A, 2020
"Marcus Booth is available wherever and whenever and is everything that you would want in a relationship partner.'
Corporate M&A, Legal 500, UAE, 2020
"Rising Star' in M&A and an "Emerging Leader" by Legal Week
Recognised as an Emerging Leader in M&A by The M&A Advisor
Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts Manufactures and Commerce (UK)