Financial Times Honors White & Case as #2 Most Innovative Law Firm in North America
2 min read
The Financial Times honored White & Case as the second most innovative law firm in North America in its FT Innovative Lawyers North America 2018 report. In addition, the report ranked the Firm as an innovator for seven matters in six categories.
White & Case received top rankings in all three FT Innovative Lawyers reports for North America, Europe and Asia during 2018.
The FT Innovative Lawyers North America 2018 report recognized White & Case in the following categories:
- Accessing New Markets and Capital: White & Case won Standout recognition, the highest ranking, for creating BIVA, Mexico's second stock exchange. The report highlighted how "BIVA uses Nasdaq technology to drive investment in the region and trade efficiency."
- Dispute Resolution: White & Case was Highly Commended for defending Italian steel manufacturer Acciaierie Valbruna S.p.A., whose trade secrets were stolen by Indian competitor Viraj. The report highlighted how "the firm unconventionally applied the US Tariff Act to protect Valbruna's product in the US market."
- Technology: White & Case was Highly Commended for developing a new global technology strategy for its litigation practice and investing in new staff and artificial intelligence tools. The report noted "It also developed a creative licence arrangement for multinational clients" to use the firm's eDiscovery tools.
- Data, Knowledge and Intelligence: White & Case was Highly Commended for expanding its global research team and implementing an electronic workflow solution to support complex, cross-border work. The report noted "Costs for the firm's 600 research tools and databases are no longer passed on to clients, saving them millions of dollars in fees."
- Managing Complexity and Scale: White & Case was Commended for guiding Brazilian telecommunications company Oi S.A. through the largest bankruptcy in Latin America to date. The report highlighted "successfully filing for Chapter 15 in the US while simultaneously fending off litigation in the Netherlands."
- Managing Complexity and Scale: White & Case was Commended for representing Sempra Energy in its acquisition of Energy Future Holdings Corporation (EFH) and EFH's subsidiary Oncor Electric Delivery Company. The report noted that the deal "provides restitution to EFH's creditors while positioning Sempra as the largest utilities provider in the US."
- Rule of Law and Access to Justice: White & Case was Commended for representing children affected by the Flint water crisis. The report noted the work "on behalf of affected children by requiring the state of Michigan to fund and carry out a programme to identify and provide testing for children exposed to lead."