Rebecca, who leads our Global Mining & Metals Industry Group, is a mining and metals sector expert who brings an industry-focused approach to every aspect of her work. She has forged her expertise as in-house counsel at BHP and in private practice at top law firms in Australia, New York and London.
Rebecca brings her knowledge and experience to a broad range of transactions across the mining & metals sector globally, regularly taking the lead on financing, M&A/corporate, project development and restructuring transactions, as well as operational improvement and best practice projects for corporate clients. Rebecca is known for her unparalleled knowledge of the commercial, technical and political aspects of the mining and metals sector and her ability to deftly integrate these with the legal considerations on any given matter for her clients.
Rebecca has extensive experience assisting mining & metals companies and their boards in relation to business-critical risks and events, as well as in contributing to the development of industry-wide standards. Rebecca was recently on the advisory panel for the new Global Tailings Standard with the International Council on Mining and Metals (ICMM), established after the Brumadinho tailings storage facility disaster in Brazil.
- Representation of the lenders (Natixis, BNPP, SocGen, Credit Agricole, ING, IFC and DFC) to Compagnie des Bauxites de Guinee (CBG), on the approximately US$700 million expansion financing of the CBG bauxite project in the Republic of Guinea (2016), the subsequent multi-user rail corridor expansion (2020) and various ongoing matters.
- Representation of Concord, as offtaker and lender in connection with the financing of the Nevada Gold-Copper Project. This financing structure includes a Triple Flag stream and a UFK-covered KFW senior debt tranche.Representation of the lenders to Kenmare Resources on a hybrid refinancing in relation to the Moma Titanium Minerals Mine in northern Mozambique.
- Representation of the lenders (including Societe Generale) on the project financing of the Tri-K gold project in Guinea (ongoing).
- Representation of SolGold on the development and royalty financing of a major greenfield copper-gold project in Ecuador, including a recently closed US$150 million net smelter returns agreement with Franco Nevada. We are borrower side and led the intercreditor structuring and negotiation.
- Representation of HPX in project development and financing activities, including government negotiations for the transnational Guinea-Liberia evacuation corridor.
- Representation of the pathfinder project finance lenders to Sirius Minerals Plc's proposed Phase 2 financing of the North Yorkshire Polyhalite Project. The financing structure for the project included a large royalty financing and was the source of complex intercreditor issues.
- Representation of the initial purchasers (Jefferies LLC, Cantor Fitzgerald & Co. and TD Securities (USA) LLC) in connection with the issuance by Canadian copper miner Taseko Mines Limited of US$250 million of senior secured notes.
- Representation of Future Global Resources Limited on the acquisition of the Bogoso Prestea gold mine in Ghana Golden Star Resources. We are borrower side in the renegotiation of the stream with Royal Gold which accompanied the transaction.
- Representation of ASX and AIM-listed European Metals, in the sale of the majority of its Czech Cinovec Lithium Project to Czech-utility CEZ, including associated shareholder approvals and joint venture arrangements with CEZ.
- Representation of Agyapa Royalties on the proposed IPO of the Ghanaian Government's gold royalty portfolio (ongoing).
- Representation of Newmont Mining Corp., a gold and copper producer based in the United States with operations worldwide, on its US$10 billion acquisition of Goldcorp Inc., a Canadian senior gold producer.
- Representation of Grupo Mineros S.A. on their acquisition from Yamana of 100% of the producing Gualcamayo gold mine in Argentina and a portfolio of exploration assets in Chile.
- Representation of New World Resources (NWR) on the divestment of its €95 million coke subsidiary OKK Koksovny, a.s., the largest producer of foundry coke in Europe, to Metalimex, a class 1 transaction under the UK Listing Rules.
Distressed and restructuring
- Representation of the bondholder of Petra Diamond in respect of the South African components of its proposed capital restructuring. White & Case are advising on the corporate, regulatory, environmental, BEE compliance and property impacts of the proposed restricting in so far as it impacts the bondholder's rights and security
- Representation of PXF creditors in the financial restructuring of the Mechel Group, one of Russia's leading mining and metals companies.
- Representation of NWR in its second round of operational and balance sheet restructuring following the further significant decline in the coal price since the first round of restructuring in 2014.
- Representation of NWR in its comprehensive, cross-border balance sheet restructuring, allowing NWR to focus on its operational turnaround and survive the prolonged downturn in the global coking and thermal coal markets. This complex transaction involved a UK Scheme of Arrangement and a Rights Issue and Placing on the London, Warsaw and Prague Stock Exchanges, drawing on a complex mix of capability across mining, restructuring, debt and equity capital markets, corporate and tax. This deal won "2014 Industrial Goods and Basic Resources Deal of the Year" at M&A Advisor's Turnaround Awards and "Best Restructuring in CEE 2015" at the EMEA Finance Achievement Awards.
Supply Chain/Prepay financing and Offtake/Operational Excellence/Innovation
- Representation of a major international bank on a physically settled prepayment transaction involving a gold producer in South Africa.
- Regular advisor to Emirates Global Aluminium, a global, vertically integrated aluminium producer, on major supply chain and offtake agreements, and operational excellence projects.
- Representation of MineHub, a mining & metals supply chain blockchain platform, on its consortium arrangements and development of its blockchain ecosystem.
"Safety and Governance in the wake of Brumadinho' FT Mining Commodities Summit, London, October 2020
"Blockchain: if not now, when?", Global Mining Council, London, May 2019;
"Disruption in Mining Finance – Show me the money", Current Trends in Mining Finance Conference, New York, May 2019;
"Key risks for Miners", Northern Miner Podcast, March 2019;
"China and Trade Tensions, amongst other Industry Risks", Third Annual Mining & Metals Survey Publication & Roundtable with EY, London, March 2019;
"Blockchain: an evolution instead of a revolution", Young Mining Professionals Blockchain Summit, London, November 2018;
"Blockchain: if not now, when?', GC2GC Workshop, White & Case, London, November 2018;
"Sector focus: Metals and mining", Debtwire Investors Summit, New York, May 2016;
"Mining & Metals Roundtable: Is the cycle coming full cycle?", White & Case, London, October 2015; and
"Mining Investment—Thriving during a commodity downturn", Mergermarket's Mining Capital Forum, London, April 2015.
"Cross-border balance sheet restructuring of NWR", Mergermarket's Mining Capital Forum, London, April 2015
"Mining Journal Mining M&A Webinar", Mining Journal, Hong Kong, January 2015
"The Great Divide in Risk Appetite Across the Mining & Metals Sector", White & Case, London, October 2014
"What We Can Learn from Latin America—a roadmap for other emerging countries", Mines and Money Conference, London, December 2013
"Financing in Africa: The Impact of Natural Resources Discoveries", White & Case, London, November 2013
"Assessing the Drivers Behind Chinese and Asian Investment into Latin America", Mining and Investment Latin America Conference, Lima, November 2013
EU unveils action plan to secure access to critical raw materials, White & Case, September 2020
Comparative Analysis of Tailings-related Legislation in Key Mining Jurisdictions, Which & Case, August 2020
Mining & metals in the COVID-19 world: Underlying resilience masks ESG concerns, White & Case, July 2020
Will blockchain-based digital finance techniques disrupt the mining & metals sector? White & Case, March 2020
Mining & Metals 2020: ESG front and center, White & Case, January 2020
Digitalising the mining & metals global supply chain: 2019 sustainability update, White & Case October 2019
Contractual duties of good faith in "relational contracts”, White & Case, September 2019
Mining & Metals 2019: China and trade tensions top industry fear list, White & Case, January 2019
SEC Harmonizes its Mining Disclosure Requirements with Global Industry Practice, White & Case, November 2018
Digitalising the mining & metals global supply chain: Blockchain brings sustainability to the forefront, White & Case, September 2018
Digitalising the mining & metals global supply chain: Rise of blockchain and the smart contract, White & Case, September 2018
Building a sustainable battery supply chain: Is blockchain the solution?, White & Case, June 2018
Battery supply chain: A unique growth opportunity?, White & Case, April 2018
Mining & Metals 2018: Full speed ahead?, White & Case, February 2018
"The pressure continues: Lazy capital no more", May 2017
"Mining & Metals 2017: A tentative return to form", January 2017
"Unlocking value in commodities and distressed markets", July 2016
"EU Agreement on Trade Rules for Conflict Minerals", June 2016
"Key milestone towards the standardisation of mineral reserve and resource reporting", June 2016
"EU agreement on trade rules for conflict minerals", June 2016
"Draft mining charter would restructure BBBEE transactions in the South African mining industry", May 2016
"Losing strength: US steel industry analysis", Debtwire, April 2016
"Mining in Africa—getting in sync with the cycle", Mining Journal, January 2016
"Battening down the hatches no longer cuts it in mining and metals", The Telegraph, October 2015, and City AM, November 2015
"Mining in Iran: Post-deal opportunities", Mining Journal, October 2015
"Mining & Metals: Weathering the storm no more", White & Case, October 2015
"Boom, borrow, build, bust and bounce?", White & Case, July 2015
"Deal or no deal?", Mining Journal, May 2015
"China poised to acquire distressed assets", Mining Journal, March 2015
"Kazakhstan push for reform", Mining Journal, February 2015
"Patchwork options", White & Case, December 2014
"Mining & Metals: Opportunity & Risk—From bust to boom? Positioning for the future", White & Case, December 2014
"Mining & Metals: Opportunity & Risk—Weathering the bottom of the cycle", White & Case, December 2014
"Finding Your Fix", Mining Journal, August 2014
"Global Energy Special Report, Engaging Africa—Risk and Reward", Project Finance International, April 2014
"On the Cusp of a Boom: Investment opportunities in African natural resources", White & Case, February 2014
"There May Be Trouble Ahead: Legal Challenges on Home Turf Threaten U.S. Ex-Im Bank Funding for Foreign Mining Projects", Mining Journal, February 2014
"EP III: an Open Pit for Finance?", Mining Journal, August 2013
"Guinea: What Next for Guinea's Regulation?", Mining Journal, July 2013
"Everything Old is New Again—Financing trends in the mining industry making a comeback", Metal Bulletin, July 2013
"Glencore's Long March to Take Over Xstrata", Mining Journal, April 2013
"Guinea Publishes Its Mining Contracts", White & Case, February 2013
The Lawyer Hot 100 2020 List
Ranked as leading lawyer - Chambers UK 2016 – 2020: Mining
The UK Legal 500, 2014 - 2020
Leading Individual: Projects, Energy & Natural Resources: Mining & Minerals
"She's a brilliant lawyer who is really engaged and knowledgeable of not just the law but also the realities of commodity trading and transactions."
Chambers UK 2021
"She is one of the best lawyers in London for mining projects." Chambers UK 2021
"Industry leader, engaged, broad interest, great strategic thinker and adviser, strong ethics." Legal 500 UK 2021
"Deep knowledge of the sector combined with practical advice." Legal 500 UK 2021
"Provides practical solutions to problems not just regurgitating the law." Legal 500 UK 2021
"Excellent knowledge of the mining sector and strong problem solving skills." Chambers UK 2020
"She gives her client a significant edge in complex transactions and she never loses sight of the big picture nor the commercial aspects".
"She is outstanding. She is very client-focused, commercial and practical, without losing sight of the key legal issues. She's very cognisant of our situation and requirements, is quick to grasp what is important to us and is very industry-aware." (client quote)