Rebecca leads our Global Mining & Metals Industry Group. She brings her knowledge and experience to a broad range of transactions across the mining & metals sector globally, regularly taking the lead on financing, M&A/corporate, project development and restructuring transactions, as well as operational improvement and best practice projects. Rebecca is known for her unparalleled knowledge of the commercial, technical and political, ESG and sustainability aspects of the mining and metals sector and her ability to deftly integrate these with the legal considerations on any given matter for her clients. She previously worked as an in-house counsel at BHP.
Rebecca has extensive experience assisting mining & metals companies and their boards in relation to business-critical risks and events, as well as in contributing to the development of industry-wide standards. Rebecca was recently on the advisory panel for the new Global Tailings Standard with the International Council on Mining and Metals (ICMM), and is now part of the Global Tailings Management Institute’s (GTMI) advisory panel, which will work to support the implementation of the Standard.
- Representation of Ivanhoe Mines in connection with US$420 million project financing, including senior debt, of the Platreef platinum-nickel-palladium-gold-copper-rhodium project in South Africa. The transaction includes Orion Mine Finance US$300 million streaming facility.
- Representation of a consortium of lenders in the closing of a US$140 million senior secured bank project financing facility for the development of the Serrote open pit copper-gold mine and processing plant project in Alagoas, Brazil. The financing package will be used to complete the construction of the 4.1 million tonnes per annum project, which is expected to achieve first production in the second half of 2021. Serrote will be the first major mining project in Alagoas.
- Representation of Kamoa Copper SA, a joint venture between Ivanhoe Mines and Zijin Mining, on its equipment financing, comprising an EKN-supported export credit facility of €176 million and a down payment facility of US$24 million.
- Representation of the lenders (Natixis, BNPP, SocGen, Credit Agricole, ING, IFC and DFC) to Compagnie des Bauxites de Guinee (CBG), on the approximately US$700 million expansion financing of the CBG bauxite project in the Republic of Guinea (2016), the subsequent multi-user rail corridor expansion (2020) and various ongoing matters.
- Representation of the lenders on the project financing of the Tri-K gold project in Guinea.
- Representation of SolGold on the development and royalty financing of a major greenfield copper-gold project in Ecuador, including a recently closed US$150 million net smelter returns agreement with Franco Nevada. We led the intercreditor structuring and negotiation.
- Representation of the lenders to Kenmare Resources on a hybrid refinancing in relation to the Moma Titanium Minerals Mine in northern Mozambique.
- Representation of HPX in project development and financing activities, including government negotiations for the transnational Guinea-Liberia evacuation corridor.
- Representation of the pathfinder project finance lenders to Sirius Minerals Plc's proposed Phase 2 financing of the North Yorkshire Polyhalite Project. The financing structure for the project included a large royalty financing and was the source of complex intercreditor issues.
- Representation of Vale on its disposal of the Moatize coal mine and the Nacala rail / port corridor located in Mozambique and Malawi to Vulcan Minerals. The transaction was a strategic divestment by Vale, part of Vale’s ongoing strategy to exit all coal assets globally and to become a leader in low-carbon mining.
- Representation of Future Global Resources Limited on the acquisition of the Bogoso Prestea gold mine in Ghana Golden Star Resources.
- Representation of Agyapa Royalties on the proposed IPO of the Ghanaian Government's gold royalty portfolio.
- Representation of Nouveau Monde in its US initial public offering of 7.95 million common shares on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) for gross proceeds of US$59 million. The common shares started trading on the NYSE on May 24, 2021 under the ticker symbol NMG.
- Representation of ASX and AIM-listed European Metals, in the sale of the majority of its Czech Cinovec Lithium Project to Czech-utility CEZ, including associated shareholder approvals and joint venture arrangements with CEZ.
- Representation of Newmont Mining Corp., a gold and copper producer based in the United States with operations worldwide, on its US$10 billion acquisition of Goldcorp Inc., a Canadian senior gold producer.
- Representation of Grupo Mineros S.A. on their acquisition from Yamana of 100% of the producing Gualcamayo gold mine in Argentina and a portfolio of exploration assets in Chile.
Distressed and restructuring
- Representation of the ad hoc group of bondholders in respect of the US$650 million 7.25% senior secured second lien notes in the financial restructuring of the London-listed diamond mining group, Petra Diamonds.
- Representation of PXF creditors in the financial restructuring of the Mechel Group, one of Russia's leading mining and metals companies.
- Representation of NWR in its second round of operational and balance sheet restructuring following the further significant decline in the coal price since the first round of restructuring in 2014.
- Representation of NWR in its comprehensive, cross-border balance sheet restructuring, allowing NWR to focus on its operational turnaround and survive the prolonged downturn in the global coking and thermal coal markets. This complex transaction involved a UK Scheme of Arrangement and a Rights Issue and Placing on the London, Warsaw and Prague Stock Exchanges, drawing on a complex mix of capability across mining, restructuring, debt and equity capital markets, corporate and tax. This deal won "2014 Industrial Goods and Basic Resources Deal of the Year" at M&A Advisor's Turnaround Awards and "Best Restructuring in CEE 2015" at the EMEA Finance Achievement Awards.
Supply Chain/Prepay financing and Offtake/Operational Excellence/Innovation
- Representation of Global Palladium Fund as English law counsel in relation to its metals-backed ETC programme establishment
- Representation of Concord, as offtaker and lender in connection with the financing of the Nevada Gold-Copper Project. This financing structure includes a Triple Flag stream and a UFK-covered KFW senior debt tranche.
- Regular advisor to Emirates Global Aluminium, a global, vertically integrated aluminium producer, on major supply chain and offtake agreements, and operational excellence projects.
- Representation of the Ministry of Energy of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia on the wholesale reformulation of the legal and regulatory environment for the mining sector as part of the NTP and Vision 2030. This included a significant multi-jurisdictional benchmarking exercise.
- Representation of MineHub, a mining & metals supply chain blockchain platform, on its consortium arrangements and development of its blockchain ecosystem.
"Asia's steel conundrum", FT Asia Summit, November 2021
"What does Green Steel mean for the Mining Industry", FT Mining Summit, October 2021
"Government & Private Sector Collaboration: Resilience, Reboot & Responsible Sourcing of African Minerals", Mining Indaba, February 2021
"Safety and Governance in the wake of Brumadinho' FT Mining Commodities Summit, London, October 2020
"Blockchain: if not now, when?", Global Mining Council, London, May 2019
"Disruption in Mining Finance – Show me the money", Current Trends in Mining Finance Conference, New York, May 2019
"Key risks for Miners", Northern Miner Podcast, March 2019
"China and Trade Tensions, amongst other Industry Risks", Third Annual Mining & Metals Survey Publication & Roundtable with EY, London, March 2019
"Blockchain: an evolution instead of a revolution", Young Mining Professionals Blockchain Summit, London, November 2018
"Blockchain: if not now, when?', GC2GC Workshop, White & Case, London, November 2018
"Sector focus: Metals and mining", Debtwire Investors Summit, New York, May 2016
ESG and energy transition – the sector's biggest opportunity, White & Case, February 2022
Forces of transition and influencers of change, White & Case, September 2021
Taking ESG seriously: The crucial role of mining investors in the energy transition, White & Case, September 2021
The green edge of steel: Cutting through carbon, White & Case, June 2021
An innovative sunrise for African miners, White & Case, January 2021
ESG Litigation Risks for Mining & Metals Companies, White & Case, January 2021
EU unveils action plan to secure access to critical raw materials, White & Case, September 2020
Comparative Analysis of Tailings-related Legislation in Key Mining Jurisdictions, Which & Case, August 2020
Mining & metals in the COVID-19 world: Underlying resilience masks ESG concerns, White & Case, July 2020
Will blockchain-based digital finance techniques disrupt the mining & metals sector? White & Case, March 2020
Mining & Metals 2020: ESG front and center, White & Case, January 2020
Digitalising the mining & metals global supply chain: 2019 sustainability update, White & Case October 2019
Contractual duties of good faith in "relational contracts”, White & Case, September 2019
Mining & Metals 2019: China and trade tensions top industry fear list, White & Case, January 2019
SEC Harmonizes its Mining Disclosure Requirements with Global Industry Practice, White & Case, November 2018
Digitalising the mining & metals global supply chain: Blockchain brings sustainability to the forefront, White & Case, September 2018
Digitalising the mining & metals global supply chain: Rise of blockchain and the smart contract, White & Case, September 2018
Building a sustainable battery supply chain: Is blockchain the solution?, White & Case, June 2018
Battery supply chain: A unique growth opportunity?, White & Case, April 2018
Mining & Metals 2018: Full speed ahead?, White & Case, February 2018
"The pressure continues: Lazy capital no more", May 2017
"Mining & Metals 2017: A tentative return to form", January 2017
"Unlocking value in commodities and distressed markets", July 2016
"EU Agreement on Trade Rules for Conflict Minerals", June 2016
"Key milestone towards the standardisation of mineral reserve and resource reporting", June 2016
"EU agreement on trade rules for conflict minerals", June 2016
"Draft mining charter would restructure BBBEE transactions in the South African mining industry", May 2016
"Losing strength: US steel industry analysis", Debtwire, April 2016
"Mining in Africa—getting in sync with the cycle", Mining Journal, January 2016
Ranked as leading lawyer - Chambers UK 2016 – 2022: Mining
The UK Legal 500, 2014 - 2022
Leading Individual: Projects, Energy & Natural Resources: Mining & Minerals
The Lawyer Hot 100 2020 List
"Rebecca is nothing short of spectacular - she is very knowledgeable, available, sharp and takes a strategic view before quickly diving into the details."
Chambers UK 2022
"Rebecca Campbell is very practical and an excellent negotiator."
Chambers UK 2022
"Rebecca Campbell's combination of technical knowledge of the sector and legal experience proved to be extremely beneficial."
Legal 500 2022
"Rebecca Campbell really gets to know our business, understands our needs and works to help us meet them in the most practical way. She is like one of our team."
Legal 500 2022
"She's a brilliant lawyer who is really engaged and knowledgeable of not just the law but also the realities of commodity trading and transactions."
Chambers UK 2021
"She is one of the best lawyers in London for mining projects." Chambers UK 2021
"Industry leader, engaged, broad interest, great strategic thinker and adviser, strong ethics." Legal 500 UK 2021
"Deep knowledge of the sector combined with practical advice." Legal 500 UK 2021
"Provides practical solutions to problems not just regurgitating the law." Legal 500 UK 2021