Rebecca, who leads our Global Mining & Metals Industry Group, is a mining and metals sector expert who brings an industry-focused approach to every aspect of her work. She has forged her expertise as in-house counsel at BHP and in private practice at top law firms in Australia, New York and London.
Rebecca brings her knowledge and experience to a broad range of transactions across the mining & metals sector globally, regularly taking the lead on financing, M&A/corporate, project development and restructuring transactions, as well as operational improvement and best practice projects for corporate clients. Rebecca is known for her unparalleled knowledge of the commercial, technical and political aspects of the mining and metals sector and her ability to deftly integrate these with the legal considerations on any given matter for her clients.
Rebecca has extensive experience assisting mining & metals companies and their boards in relation to business-critical risks and events, as well as in contributing to the development of industry-wide standards.
- Representation of Concord Resources in a concentrate offtake prepay financing to the Nevada Gold-Copper.
- Representation of the lenders for the project finance option in connection with Sirius Minerals Plc's Phase 2 financing of the North Yorkshire Polyhalite Project.
- Representation of the initial purchasers (Jefferies LLC, Cantor Fitzgerald & Co. and TD Securities (USA) LLC) in connection with the issuance by Canadian copper miner Taseko Mines Limited of US$250 million of senior secured notes.
- Representation of Jefferies LLC, on a senior secured notes offering of US$150 million of Largo Resources Ltd, the operator of the Maracas Menchen Mine located in Bahia, Brazil where it mines and produces vanadium pentoxide.
- Advising Jefferies LLC as sole book-running manager and initial purchaser in connection with the offering and sale by Kissner Holdings LP, Kissner Milling Company Limited, B.S.C. Holding Inc and Kissner USA Holdings Inc., leading producers and distributors of bulk rock salt and leading producers and distributors of specialty packaged dicing products of U.S. $400 million in aggregate principal amount of 8.375% Senior Secured Notes due 2022.
- Representation of Conuma Coal Resources Limited on its debut issuance of US$200 million senior secured notes.
- Representation of the Compagnie des Bauxites de Guinee (CBG) lenders (Natixis, BNPP, SocGen, Credit Agricole, ING, IFC and OPIC) on the US$783 million expansion financing of the CBG bauxite project in the Republic of Guinea. This deal won "2016 African Mining Deal of the Year" by IJGlobal.
- Representation of the lenders (including UniCredit and SG) in the proposed project financing, benefitting from UFK cover, to be provided to Euromax Resources Ltd. for the Ilovica Gold-Copper Project in Macedonia.
- Representation of the underwriters, arrangers and initial lenders (Deutsche Bank, Société Générale and Sberbank) for Uranium One's inaugural US$300 million senior secured high yield bond and related US$120 million revolving credit facility.
- Representation of EuroChem on a project financing of up to US$750 million, from a syndicate of international and Russian banks, in connection with its Usolskiy potash project located within Russia's Verkhnekamskoe deposit, one of the world's largest potash deposits.
- Representation of Newmont Mining Corp., a gold and copper producer based in the United States with operations worldwide, on its US$10 billion acquisition of Goldcorp Inc., a Canadian senior gold producer.
- Representation of Grupo Mineros S.A. on their acquisition from Yamana of 100% of the producing Gualcamayo gold mine in Argentina and a portfolio of exploration assets in Chile.
- Representation of a private investment firm on its proposed investment for the development and project financing of a greenfields quartz mine in British Columbia, Canada and a greenfields silicon metal plant in Washington State, United States.
- Regular advisor to Petropavlovsk Plc, a London-based gold mining company with operations in Russia, on its’ financing and corporate governance matters.
- Regular advisor to European Metals Holdings Ltd, an Australian and UK listed mineral exploration and development company, on corporate and project development matters.
- Representation of Pallinghurst Resources on its £211 million unsolicited takeover of Gemfields Plc, a coloured gemstone producer with mines in Mozambique and Zambia . This deal was shortlisted in the 2017 British Legal Awards for M&A Team of the Year.
- Representation of Norilsk Nickel on the US$337 million sale of its operations in Africa to BCL Limited of Botswana.
- Representation of New World Resources (NWR) on the divestment of its €95 million coke subsidiary OKK Koksovny, a.s., the largest producer of foundry coke in Europe, to Metalimex, a class 1 transaction under the UK Listing Rules.
- Representation of the MMG-led consortium on the US$7 billion acquisition of the Las Bambas copper project in Peru from Glencore plc. This deal won "2015 Energy & Resources Deal of the Year" by ALB China Law, "2014 Global M&A Deal of the Year, Latin America/Peru" by American Lawyer, "2014 Deal of the Year" by China Business Law Journal and "2014 M&A Deal of the Year" by Latin Lawyer.
- Regular advisor to a major mining company on its operations in the DRC, including the DRC Mining Code.
Distressed and restructuring
- Representation of PXF creditors in the financial restructuring of the Mechel Group, one of Russia’s leading mining and metals companies.
- Representation of NWR in its second round of operational and balance sheet restructuring following the further significant decline in the coal price since the first round of restructuring in 2014.
- Representation of NWR in its comprehensive, cross-border balance sheet restructuring, allowing NWR to focus on its operational turnaround and survive the prolonged downturn in the global coking and thermal coal markets. This complex transaction involved a UK Scheme of Arrangement and a Rights Issue and Placing on the London, Warsaw and Prague Stock Exchanges, drawing on a complex mix of capability across mining, restructuring, debt and equity capital markets, corporate and tax. This deal won "2014 Industrial Goods and Basic Resources Deal of the Year" at M&A Advisor's Turnaround Awards and "Best Restructuring in CEE 2015" at the EMEA Finance Achievement Awards.
Supply Chain/Prepay financing and Offtake/Operational Excellence
- Representation of Gerald Metals with commercial contracts for its Marampa Iron Ore project in Sierra Leone.
- Representation of a major international bank on a physically settled prepayment transaction involving a gold producer in South Africa.
- Regular advisor to Emirates Global Aluminium, a global, vertically integrated aluminium producer, on major supply chain and offtake agreements, and operational excellence projects.
- Representation of MineHub, a mining & metals supply chain blockchain platform, on its consortium arrangements and development of its blockchain ecosystem.
- Representation of Eco Metals Recovery in the development and commercialisation of an innovative gold separation technology.
"Blockchain: if not now, when?", Global Mining Council, London, May 2019;
"Disruption in Mining Finance – Show me the money", Current Trends in Mining Finance Conference, New York, May 2019;
"Key risks for Miners", Northern Miner Podcast, March 2019;
"China and Trade Tensions, amongst other Industry Risks", Third Annual Mining & Metals Survey Publication & Roundtable with EY, London, March 2019;
"Blockchain: an evolution instead of a revolution", Young Mining Professionals Blockchain Summit, London, November 2018;
"Blockchain: if not now, when?", GC2GC Workshop, White & Case, London, November 2018;
"Sector focus: Metals and mining", Debtwire Investors Summit, New York, May 2016;
"Mining & Metals Roundtable: Is the cycle coming full cycle?", White & Case, London, October 2015; and
"Mining Investment—Thriving during a commodity downturn", Mergermarket's Mining Capital Forum, London, April 2015.
Ranked as leading lawyer - Chambers, UK 2016 – 2019: Mining
"She gives her client a significant edge in complex transactions and she never loses sight of the big picture nor the commercial aspects"
"She is outstanding. She is very client-focused, commercial and practical, without losing sight of the key legal issues. She's very cognisant of our situation and requirements, is quick to grasp what is important to us and is very industry-aware." (client quote)
The UK Legal 500, 2014 - 2019
Leading Individual: Projects, Energy & Natural Resources: Mining & Minerals