Triple Win for White & Case at Americas Women in Business Law Awards
Euromoney Legal Media Group honored White & Case three times at its Euromoney Legal Media Group Americas Women in Business Law Awards 2016 ceremony on June 9:
- The Firm won "Best international firm for talent management"
- Kim Marie Boylan (Washington, DC) won "Best in transfer pricing"
- Ank Santens (New York) won "Best in Commercial Arbitration"
The Americas Women in Business Law Awards celebrate the accomplishments of leading firms and top women lawyers in the Americas.
These and the many other such awards the Firm has won recognize the success not only of White & Case's women lawyers, but also of the Firm's Global Women's Initiative, led by a committee of fourteen partners (ten women and four men), including current and former Executive Committee members, and chaired by Nicole Erb, an international disputes resolution partner in the Washington, DC office. The Initiative encompasses all women lawyers at the Firm—approximately 800 lawyers worldwide.
The Global Women's Initiative encourages the success and advancement of White & Case's women lawyers worldwide with a three-prong strategy:
- Working with the Firm's regional and global leaders to develop and implement talent management programs to promote the retention and advancement of women lawyers
- Promoting an inclusive culture and strengthening collaboration and innovation throughout our global network
- Instituting and supporting local women's networks to offer professional and business development activities in Firm offices around the world
Talent management is the centerpiece of the Global Women's Initiative. It is powerful for two reasons: The Initiative focuses the attention of the Firm's Regional Section Heads on the women with the potential to advance, and it strives to deliver a clear and consistent message to those women that they have this potential.
Through the Firm's talent management program, White & Case has increased the percentage of equity and contract partners who are women, the number of women associates considered for partnership and retention of women the Firm has identified as top candidates for advancement.
Boylan, the Global Head of White & Case's Tax practice, represents taxpayers in resolving their tax disputes successfully by utilizing the IRS's administrative appeals procedures, mediation and other alternative dispute resolution processes. She also has represented numerous clients in judicial proceedings in the US Tax Court, US Court of Federal Claims, and in various district and appellate courts. Boylan has a particular focus on transfer pricing as well as the Advance Pricing Agreement process.
Santens serves as counsel or arbitrator in commercial, investment and construction arbitrations around the world, under all major international arbitration rules (ICC, ICDR/AAA, ICSID, LCIA, UNCITRAL), as well as under ad hoc and regional rules.