Euromoney Honors White & Case with Five European Women in Business Law Awards
Euromoney Legal Media Group honored White & Case with five European Women in Business Law Awards at its 2016 ceremony on June 16:
- Best international firm for talent management
- Best in Competition and Antitrust, for Jacquelyn MacLennan (Brussels)
- Three Country Awards for Firm's accomplishments in Finland, Russia and Turkey
The European Women in Business Law Awards recognize and celebrate the companies with the best initiatives for gender diversity, innovations, minority women, mentoring, work-life balance, pro bono work and talent management, and also recognize distinguished women lawyers in business law.
These and the many other such awards the Firm has won recognize the success not only of White & Case's women lawyers, but also of the Firm's Global Women's Initiative, led by a committee of fourteen partners (ten women and four men), including current and former Executive Committee members, and chaired by Nicole Erb, an international disputes resolution partner in the Washington, DC office. The Initiative encompasses all women lawyers at the Firm—approximately 800 lawyers worldwide.
The Global Women's Initiative encourages the success and advancement of White & Case's women lawyers worldwide with a three-prong strategy:
- Working with the Firm's regional and global leaders to develop and implement talent management programs to promote the retention and advancement of women lawyers
- Promoting an inclusive culture and strengthening collaboration and innovation throughout our global network
- Instituting and supporting local women's networks to offer professional and business development activities in Firm offices around the world
Talent management is the centerpiece of the Global Women's Initiative. It is powerful for two reasons: The Initiative focuses the attention of the Firm's Regional Section Heads on the women with the potential to advance, and it strives to deliver a clear and consistent message to those women that they have this potential.
Through the Firm's talent management program, White & Case has increased the percentage of equity and contract partners who are women, the number of women associates considered for partnership and retention of women the Firm has identified as top candidates for advancement.
MacLennan focuses on EU competition law, developing strategy and running major international cartel investigations, and advising on complex distribution problems and licensing arrangements, abuse of dominance cases, mergers and joint ventures. She also advises on EU customs and trade law, as well as EU regulatory requirements, notably in respect to product safety and environmental regulation. MacLennan was also shortlisted for the Euromoney award for best lawyer in international trade.