Thousands of law students from around the world will explore the legality of cyber-surveillance and cyber crime under international law
Global law firm White & Case LLP today announced that more than 600 teams, representing 89 countries, are registered to participate in the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition, the world's largest and oldest moot court competition.
The annual event, which draws more than 2,000 law students, requires teams to present oral and written arguments on a hypothetical international law case to a simulated International Court of Justice.
Teams will compete in national and regional competitions to earn the right to represent their countries in March at the White & Case International Rounds, where they will vie for the top prize—the White & Case Jessup Cup. This year's case addresses questions concerning the legality of mass surveillance programs, the expropriation of property allegedly used in such programs and the international legal consequences of cyberattacks attributable to states.
"The Jessup offers thousands of law students around the world a unique experience beyond a text book and classroom," said White & Case Chairman Hugh Verrier. "This year, students will be exploring an issue impacting countries every day in an increasingly interconnected world."
Administered by the International Law Students Association, the Jessup helps students develop legal writing and oral advocacy skills, improve their ability to work in teams and build their substantive knowledge of international law. For many, it is a life-changing experience, as they have never before left their native country or participated in a global competition.
The competition was the topic of the recently released documentary, "ALL RISE: Journeys to a Just World," which was selected for the 2015 DOC NYC and 2016 Manchester Film festivals. The film follows seven passionate law students from India, Israel, Jamaica, Palestine, Russia, Singapore and Uganda as they struggle with complex legal and personal issues in their journey through the Jessup season. For more details on the film, including a trailer, please visit www.allrisemovie.com.
Highlights of the 57th Jessup season include:
- The first Egyptian National Rounds
- The largest Pakistani National Rounds
- The first Cambodian National Rounds
Note to Editors: The following is the schedule for the 12 White & Case-sponsored 2016 Jessup competitions:
- Brussels, Belgium: February 27
- Salvador (Bahia), Brazil: February 19-22
- Ottawa, Canada: February 25-27
- Suzhou, China: February 17-19
- Prague, Czech Republic: February 19
- Tbilisi, Georgia: February 6-7
- Hong Kong, China: February 20
- Warsaw, Poland: February 11-12
- Moscow, Russia: February 3-7
- Pretoria, South Africa: February 19-20
- London, United Kingdom: February 12-14
- Washington, DC, US Mid-Atlantic Regional: February 11-14
- Washington, DC, W&C International Rounds: March 27-April 2
For more information, please speak to your local media contact.