White & Case Named Turkey M&A Legal Adviser of the Year
Global law firm White & Case LLP was named "Turkey M&A Legal Adviser of the Year" at the Mergermarket European M&A Awards, held on December 4 in London.
The European M&A Awards is an annual event celebrating excellence in M&A expertise across Europe. Mergermarket's rigorous judging process is unique, as it starts with analysis of Mergermarket's market-leading league tables followed by a shortlist announcement and scrutiny by a panel of expert judges. There is only one winner per category.
Among the transactions that helped White & Case win were:
- Qatari investor Mayhoola for Investments' acquisition of Boyner Perakende, a leading retail company in Turkey that owns a number of brands in the retail sector, including the well-known luxury brand Beymen
- US-based Eaton Corp.'s acquisition of Ulusoy Elektrik, a manufacturing company engaged in the manufacture of a wide variety of medium-voltage electrical equipment for MV electrical distribution networks and industrial plants, one of the largest M&A transactions of 2019
- UK-based British United Provident Association (BUPA) in its acquisition of 100 percent of the shares of health insurance company Acıbadem Sigorta
- Goldman Sachs in the acquisition of a significant minority stake in e-commerce company Modanisa, which is engaged in the production and sale of modest fashion clothing and accessories (also one of the best-performing e-commerce companies, and one of the largest exporting e-commerce companies, in Turkey), and EBRD in its investment for 5.1 percent of the shares in Modanisa
- Firmenich, the largest privately owned fragrance and flavorings company in the world, in its acquisition of a majority stake in Gulcicek Kimya, a leading Turkish fragrance manufacturer
"The enduring strength of our M&A practice is clearly demonstrated by the deals we have been involved in across a wide range of sectors including e-commerce, financial services, manufacturing and retail," said White & Case Istanbul M&A partner Aslı Basgoz. "Our ability to offer our clients full service in Turkey, such as our expertise in corporate, finance, capital markets, litigation and IP, as well as the access our clients get to our global network of offices and capabilities in addition to the strong on the ground capability, provides real benefits to our clients."