This year, 603 teams, representing 92 countries, are registered to participate in the world's largest moot court competition—the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition.
Teams will compete in national and regional competitions to earn the right to represent their countries in April at the White & Case International Rounds, where they will vie for the top prize—the White & Case Jessup Cup.
Highlights of the 56th Jessup season include:
(1) First national competition in Pakistan since 1978
(2) 20th anniversary of Jessup in the Ukraine
(3) Largest national competition to date in Afghanistan (13 teams), China (45 teams), Indonesia (18 teams) and Philippines (13 teams)
(4) Largest Jessup "Friendly" Competition in which teams without a national round come together for practice matches to prepare for the International Rounds (10 teams)
"The Jessup now has a truly global reach and touches the lives of thousands of law students each year in profound ways," said White & Case Chairman Hugh Verrier. "Their contribution to the rule of law around the world will be substantial."
The annual event, which draws more than 2,000 students and is the oldest moot court competition, requires teams to present oral and written arguments on a hypothetical international law case to a simulated International Court of Justice.
This year's case addresses issues raised by the secession of a province from one country and its annexation by another, as well as treaty interpretation and applicability in the face of changed circumstances.
Administered by the International Law Students Association, the Jessup helps students develop legal writing and oral advocacy skills, improve their ability to work in teams and build their substantive knowledge of international law. For many it is a life-changing experience, as they have never before left their native country, participated in a competition at such a high level, nor met such a wide variety of peers from so many cultures.
In 2007, White & Case became a global partner of the Jessup with a focus on the development and support of national and regional competitions. For the past five years, the Firm has sponsored the world championship rounds, called the White & Case Jessup International Rounds.
This year, White & Case is sponsoring teams from Hungary and Palestine as well as 14 competitions.
Note to Editors: The following is the schedule for the 14 White & Case-sponsored 2015 Jessup competitions:
(1) Belgium, Brussels, March 14
(2) Brazil, Salvador, February 22-25
(3) Canada, Halifax, Nova Scotia, March 5-7
(4) China, Beijing, February 4-6
(5) Czech Republic, Prague, February 20
(6) European Friendly Competition, Budapest, Hungary, March 5-7
(7) Georgia, Tbilisi, March 7-8
(8) Hong Kong, Hong Kong, March 13-14
(9) Poland, Warsaw, February 9-11
(10) Russia, Moscow, January 28-February 1
(11) South Africa, Bellville, Cape Town, January 29-February 1
(12) United Kingdom, London, February 26-March 1
(13) US Mid-Atlantic Regional, Washington, DC, February 12-15
(14) White & Case International Rounds, Washington, DC, April 5-11
For more information please speak to your local media contact.